Crosshairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
This extremely chilling video that Loughner made freaks me out so very much. Can you people of NJPB guess why? It's kind of familiar, actually.

Heh, I thought the same thing when I saw it. Really the only similarity is guy, walking around with camera, being weird. But maybe that was enough similarity.

Bobpbx said:
He played this tragedy? How so-what exactly did he do so worthy of your scorn?

I don't know how many more ways I can say it. He advanced the idea that the shooting in Tuscon "said something" about America. He played along with all the international nitwits who are always looking for a reason to pile on us. It's that simple.

I was pretty neutral on Obama up to this point, but as far as I am concerned the book is written and closed on this fool, and I sincerely hope his first miserable term is his last.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
IHe advanced the idea that the shooting in Tuscon "said something" about America.

Advance how.....by saying something to that effect in his Tuscon speech? If so, he did not. He did the opposite. From the speech:

"You see, when a tragedy like this strikes, it is part of our nature to demand explanations – to try to impose some order on the chaos, and make sense out of that which seems senseless. Already we’ve seen a national conversation commence, not only about the motivations behind these killings, but about everything from the merits of gun safety laws to the adequacy of our mental health systems. Much of this process, of debating what might be done to prevent such tragedies in the future, is an essential ingredient in our exercise of self-government.

But at a time when our discourse has become so sharply polarized – at a time when we are far too eager to lay the blame for all that ails the world at the feet of those who think differently than we do – it’s important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we are talking with each other in a way that heals, not a way that wounds.

Scripture tells us that there is evil in the world, and that terrible things happen for reasons that defy human understanding. In the words of Job, “when I looked for light, then came darkness.” Bad things happen, and we must guard against simple explanations in the aftermath.

For the truth is that none of us can know exactly what triggered this vicious attack. None of us can know with any certainty what might have stopped those shots from being fired, or what thoughts lurked in the inner recesses of a violent man’s mind."

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
See second paragraph, above. That was the part that the media picked up, and if you can give me a valid reason why it was included, then I will reconsider my stance. Nothing in a presidential speech is there by chance. You tell me what Loughner's actions had to do with our supposedly sharply polarized discourse? Let me boil the first two paragraphs down for you: 1) of course we can't know why such a thing happened; but 2) about those teabaggers.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
See second paragraph, above. That was the part that the media picked up, and if you can give me a valid reason why it was included, then I will reconsider my stance. Nothing in a presidential speech is there by chance. You tell me what Loughner's actions had to do with our supposedly sharply polarized discourse? Let me boil the first two paragraphs down for you: 1) of course we can't know why such a thing happened; but 2) about those teabaggers.

You are really reaching here Mark...picking it apart and trying to see the bad in Obama between the lines. Why can't you also, conversely, consider that he was talking about the discourse 'after' the shooting-and trying to cool it down some as well as make a point that it is only making a tragedy worse. Think about this...could he also have been telling the Tuscon Police Chief that he was making a too-hasty decision to blame the radio pundits? I don't see where you get teabaggers our of that paragraph at all. Even conservative talk-show hosts had a hard time dragging this one through the mud.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...ma-for-Tucson-speech.-Can-partisan-pause-last

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
You are really reaching here Mark...picking it apart and trying to see the bad in Obama between the lines. Why can't you also, conversely, consider that he was talking about the discourse 'after' the shooting-and trying to cool it down some as well as make a point that it is only making a tragedy worse. Think about this...could he also have been telling the Tuscon Police Chief that he was making a too-hasty decision to blame the radio pundits? I don't see where you get teabaggers our of that paragraph at all. Even conservative talk-show hosts had a hard time dragging this one through the mud.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...ma-for-Tucson-speech.-Can-partisan-pause-last
Alright dude, well, I think we just need to leave it then. You ain't changing my mind, and I'm not changing yours. You can have the last word. For my part it's much more of a stretch to suggest that Obama was addressing the post-trauma political atmosphere. There would be no reason to do so, and nothing like that has been said, to my remembrance, after any other such tragedy. The remarks were made in a context and he would not have wanted to be so easily misunderstood, if in fact he was not saying what he seemed to be saying.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You can have the last word. For my part it's much more of a stretch to suggest that Obama was addressing the post-trauma political atmosphere. There would be no reason to do so, and nothing like that has been said, to my remembrance, after any other such tragedy. The remarks were made in a context and he would not have wanted to be so easily misunderstood, if in fact he was not saying what he seemed to be saying.

Okay, then, we agree to disagree. Thank you for offering to give me the last word Mark. I made my point, so lets leave it there.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I don't have anything to add to the discourse already put forth in this thread (politically that is). but I know as a parent I had to leave the room when he mentioned the little Green girls name, it was too much for me too take. Whatever the courts dish to to this guy, his punishment will never erase the pain he inflicted on the families. If Arizona has a death penalty they should try this guy Monday and get it over with.
Greg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am assuming the last post is directed at me. So, with that said I am closing this thread. I see nothing more of value coming from it.

Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.