Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
From today's Wall Street Journal

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704803604576077991878233056.html

REVIEW & OUTLOOK

JANUARY 13, 2011

'Say No to Us'

Chris Christie's advice to the House GOP.

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has a message for the new Republican majority in the U.S. House of Representatives. Visiting the Journal's offices on Wednesday, Mr. Christie advised GOP leaders to reject funding requests from Governors like him.

"Say no to us in terms of more money," said Mr. Christie. "We've got to walk the walk as Republicans . . . and now that we've got 29 Republican Governors, we shouldn't be lining up with our hands out saying, 'We know what we said, but come on, give us a little help here.'" It isn't every day that a politician asks that someone not send him money.

The governor explained that critical to the success of the new House majority is for GOP Members "to define success differently," so that a Representative is no longer measured based on how much federal funding he brings home to his district.

In suggesting that Congress deny funding requests from state governments, Mr. Christie is not simply adopting a principled pose. He said it would make his job easier if Washington said no more often. The Governor explained that if the Beltway crowd continues to spend recklessly, it may convince some voters that the spending orgy can go on forever, and these voters will then question whether their own states really need reform. "It doesn't help get the job done," he added, if there isn't a "consistent thematic across the country."

Mr. Christie reported that he has delivered his message directly to new Speaker of the House John Boehner. We're guessing that Mr. Boehner, a veteran of many budget wars, has rarely been visited by Governors suggesting that Congress write them smaller checks. Let's hope Mr. Christie is not the last.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
He should really have added, "tell them to take bonds instead and pawn the debt off to the next governor." Cuz that's what he just did. I love a guy who can start his state of the state address by saying we must stop borrowing.. this just a few days after the 30 million he took in construction bonds so we couldnt vote on it. He's actually a good speaker, but how many lies is the public going to take from this shared sacrifice my butt bozo?

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
While I do agree with you for the most part, if the politics bother you so much, stay off the politics thread. No brainer.
They don't bother me at all. I'm just staing this because of how hard another member got attacked thats all.
Plus if you want to get all technical on me, it's "politics of the PINES":rolleyes:

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
if you want to get all technical on me, it's "politics of the PINES":rolleyes:
True. The pines are in NJ though. What affects NJ, eventually affects the pines. Whether its jobs, taxes, debt, etc. It trickles all over the state. I hear what you're saying though, and truth is I've already went to battle on these political threads so I've been trying to stay off them, especially when the topic is Christie. That said, I cant help myself sometimes when I hear the lies. The important thing is that its never personal (with site members), just political opinions and mumbo jumbo.
PEACE

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
True. The pines are in NJ though. What affects NJ, eventually affects the pines. Whether its jobs, taxes, debt, etc. It trickles all over the state. I hear what you're saying though, and truth is I've already went to battle on these political threads so I've been trying to stay off them, especially when the topic is Christie. That said, I cant help myself sometimes when I hear the lies. The important thing is that its never personal (with site members), just political opinions and mumbo jumbo.
PEACE

Incorrect, and if the idea that this particular subforum is about Jersey as a whole politics then I'll just delete it. Want to discuss politics? Go to NJ.com and talk to the people there. Want to talk about the Pine Barrens? Come here.

End of story.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Incorrect, and if the idea that this particular subforum is about Jersey as a whole politics then I'll just delete it. Want to discuss politics? Go to NJ.com and talk to the people there. Want to talk about the Pine Barrens? Come here.

End of story.
Didnt mean to ruffle feathers Ben, but I still stick to my post. I didnt start this thread, but we were discussing NJs spending. I feel his budget cut of 9.8% of the D.E.P.s overall funding is in fact an issue of the pines.

Status
Not open for further replies.