Hello - journalist looking for your craziest (or just best) Pine Barrens stories here!

Isaiah Thompson

Jun 1, 2011
Hello all,

My name is Isaiah Thompson and I'm a reporter and editor for the Philadelphia City Paper. I joined the forum last week in anticipation of an extremely sudden (another story fell through) trip to Wharton to more-or-less hike the Batona, hoping partly to contact folks who know the Barrens well and would like to share a few anecdotes or pieces of info/history (and anticipating staying interested outside of work).

Unfortunately, I missed a hike with one of the moderators, but did manage to have a great trip anyway.

I'm on deadline for tomorrow (Tues, June 7) morning , but wanted to put out a *quick* call for the weirdest, most interesting, and surprising stories you all might have from your adventures in the Barrens. I'll be writing all day and all night and can be reached by cell phone.

I probably shouldn't post the number here, but please feel free to drop an email at isaiah dot thompson at gmail.com and I'll send you my cell number or call you back. Alternately (and especially if don't want your name out there) I suppose you could just reply to this thread.

The article, by the way, will be a lighthearted, appreciative, and somewhat bumbling romp by yours truly through Wharton Forest.

Thanks for any help, and I hope to continue reading and maybe even posting as a fan of the Barrens myself. - Isaiah

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have quite a few stories of adventures an misadventures.I'd say my best barrens story is totally unprintable,my pine barrens brethren would appreciate it no doubt and I've never told it to them but I fear it would offend the more sensitive folks in print or orally.
I still have some funny yellowjacket stories,even some humorous stone hunting stories and of course a couple lost stories.I have never been actually lost perse,but I have been misplaced temporarily a few times.
Al

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
"Getting lost and found in the deep, dark and desolate Pine Barrens."

I find the Pine Barrens warm, welcoming and full of beauty and life. I am at home there but I guess it makes a good story..

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well written with great illistrations. I especially like the bent trees and a bent Isaiah :D

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
"Getting lost and found in the deep, dark and desolate Pine Barrens."

I find the Pine Barrens warm, welcoming and full of beauty and life. I am at home there but I guess it makes a good story..

Different strokes for different folks. I can see how someone coming from Philly could call the Pines desolate. You live in Tabernacle, you're used to having trees for friends. :)

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
Different strokes for different folks. I can see how someone coming from Philly could call the Pines desolate. You live in Tabernacle, you're used to having trees for friends. :)
I often tell visitors that it's an acquired taste.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Well-written piece, and entertaining. Obviously works the sensational angle that seems to be the first thing that strikes people from the city when the hear about the barrens.

I got a laugh out of the paranormal dudes. They don't have much imagination, if the best places they can think of for ghost hunting are Atsion lake and the Carranza memorial. If ghosts are real, then for sure they'll be found in the deep dark long after midnight, playing cards on a stump at Martha, dancing in the woods near Mount where a tavern used to stand, or walking slowly up and down the old main street at Harrisville.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Well-written piece, and entertaining. Obviously works the sensational angle that seems to be the first thing that strikes people from the city when the hear about the barrens.

I got a laugh out of the paranormal dudes. They don't have much imagination, if the best places they can think of for ghost hunting are Atsion lake and the Carranza memorial. If ghosts are real, then for sure they'll be found in the deep dark long after midnight, playing cards on a stump at Martha, dancing in the woods near Mount where a tavern used to stand, or walking slowly up and down the old main street at Harrisville.

Dead on. Couldn't agree more.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Excellent article. It is refreshing to see an article that doesn't read like a tourist brouchure for a change. An adventure with some historical and geographical facts, and some cultural observations intergrated well within the text. Deep, Dark and Desolate...you bet, I wouldn't have them any other way.

It is a shame you didn't make the PBX hike, Isaiah. Hit us up again sometime, you will have an adventure I promise. If you think the Batona trail is deep, dark and desolate, you won't believe where we go.

Jeff