Impassible roads

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Some things I've seen in Wharton this week.

Hampton Furnace
The small bridge near Riders Switch is washed out. This bridge washed out a couple of years ago and it was never repaired properly. The upstream side looked like the workmen went home one night and never returned to finish the job. Ties were still laying about which were meant to reinforce the walls.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.769104379769615&lng=-74.68092799186707&z=17&type=h&gpx=

The canoe launch there has washed out, but is usable.

The road along the Batsto there had 3 deep holes usually filled with water. Someone has dug out the bank allowing the water to drain into the river. Unfortunately every time it rains from now on it will take some of the road with it. Interestingly the opposite approach was taken by the Skit Bridge a short distance away where the bank was built up to keep the road from washing away.

There is a large tree down here, still connected about 10 feet up with no way around.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.74356026324067&lng=-74.65373039245605&z=14&type=h&gpx=

There is a significant wash out of Push Line Road. I use 4 low to get through it but a car would never make it. It is just west of the gravel hill. There is also a large tree down just west of the washout making the road impassable.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.73339606935888&lng=-74.65201377868652&z=14&type=h&gpx=

There is also a significant wash out just down the road from Batona Camp. It would stop a car but not a truck.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.78598287518245&lng=-74.62403297424316&z=14&type=h&gpx=

There are trees down every where which can be driven around. If you like big puddles Wharton is for you.

Ed

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Thanks for the information. I am going to be hiking the Hampton Park area tomorrow. I was hoping the waters from the storm exposed some new finds in the old bogs and surrounding areas. I think I will play it safe and park just off of Carranza Road.

cutevira

Sep 4, 2011
Roebling, New Jersey
Here's a picture of Hampton road taken today, just after crossing Stokes Road from the direction of rt 206
DSCF6305-1.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks for the information. I am going to be hiking the Hampton Park area tomorrow. I was hoping the waters from the storm exposed some new finds in the old bogs and surrounding areas. I think I will play it safe and park just off of Carranza Road.

I am curious as to what "finds" you will find when the water level is still high? Or does that not matter?

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I am curious as to what "finds" you will find when the water level is still high? Or does that not matter?

Guy

I am hoping erosion exposed some things that could be hidden along the banks and the rains might have washed the sand away exposing something new. If it is ugly in that are and I'll just head over to Parker Preserve. I don't mind getting lost for the day there. Honestly, I haven't been out hiking in two weeks and I just need to put some miles under my feet. Is it even worth while in that area?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am hoping erosion exposed some things that could be hidden along the banks and the rains might have washed the sand away exposing something new. If it is ugly in that area and I'll just head over to Parker Preserve. I don't mind getting lost for the day there. Honestly, I haven't been out hiking in two weeks and I just need to put some miles under my feet.

Sounds interesting! Even if it is ugly it might be fun to stay :)

Jessica and I will be out tomorrow and may be in that area. Also heading to Mt. Misery and maybe a few other places. Should be interesting.

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Push Line is passable. A large tree still blocks the road but there is now a go around.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We visited the bridge by Batona Camp and here is a photo of the sand that washed into the cedar swamp.

IMG_8154.JPG

We also checked out the washout at Hampton Park. Ed, I was easily able to cross the crushed pipe on the road in from Carranza. I just went slow and never hit bottom.

IMG_8156.JPG

While there I ran into Gibby and we had a short but interesting conversation I hope to meet up again one day.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
no it will not kill the cedars but all the plants and small critters that lived there are gone for now.The sphagnum is toast for awhile.I have seen cedar swamps like this on the wading down below wading pines.Quite beautiful and different but sterile for awhile.If you dug into the swamp you would probably find layers of sand alternating with peat as this happens every so often as a natural course,then again next flood all the sand may wash away and bring you back where it started minus the life.Would be interesting to record the recovery and see how long it takes.next flood will be right up.
Al

Reactions: glowordz

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Most of the roads in the area are suffering to say the least. From what I saw it was from the culverts inabilities to handle the amount of water and the fact that they are set in sand. Simply, they washed out. On a positive note, the forest was in great shape. Some blow downs here and there, but even the flood plains weren't in bad shape. There was standing water in and around Hampton park, but nothing alarming. Granted a week has passed. Guy, it was a pleasure to met you and your daughter. Our talk was brief but enjoyable. Your good people. :) I headed over to were you parked because I thought you were stuck. You drove by me fast and I figured you dropped a tire in the wash out. Serious, I came over to see if you needed to be pulled out. I also took one of the bright grocery bags someone put on the caution tape and placed in on the other side of the washed out bridge. That thin tape was barely visible. I was concerned that in the dark someone could get hurt coming from the other side. On a side note, on my way home I took a moment to see the iron piece Kevinhoaa was talking about up from Harrisville and I startled a mature Red Tail hawk eating a rattlesnake. It was great day to be out.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
When I used to drive all around the back roads in the PB in the late 60's through 90's I'd encounter bad sand traps but never busted down impassable roads like that. Maybe I just wasn't down there after a hurricane.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Gibby,

That was a good move putting the bag on the other side. I am betting at one time there were three on the other side but someone took them :siren:

I have to get to Harrisvile and look at that. I was there recently but forgot about it.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Have any pictures of the rattlesnake hawk incident. How big was the snake?

Yes, I have photos of what was left of it. I only had a moment to take everything in because I startled the hawk. It was on a pine that fell over and I came into the clearing behind it. Immediatley it took off with the snake in its grasp. The snake wasn't very big but thick. I would say eighteen inches long and about two inches thick. I have pictures of the tail and a close up of the rattler. I 'm having troubles sizing and uploading the photos.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Gibby what ever you can post up would be appreciated. I was curious of the size of the snake, so thanks for the info. I know owls and hawks take rattlesnakes but I've never witnessed it(glad actually), a cool observation.