Windows 10

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My brother did and loves it. My wife has gone back and forth a few times and basically hates it, and Scott mentioned on the PBX hike he was not happy with it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Be aware that if you allow MS to perform updates automatically, you just might get Win 10 installed. They have begun adding the Win 10 update to auto updates. The update number is KB3035583

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The free upgrade to Windows 10 is scheduled to end on July 29 so theoretically we won't have to worry about this any more in August. Unless Microsoft extends the deadline… ;)

"There is some skepticism that Microsoft will in fact follow through on this. Making Windows 10 a conventional paid upgrade is going to make that one billion system target much harder to reach; Windows 7 is the most widely used version of Windows by a considerable margin, with Windows 7 users outnumbering Windows 10 users by about three to one, indicating that there is still a substantial number of people who have not taken advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade."

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ystems-microsoft-says-free-upgrade-ends-soon/

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Last evening I (for some reason, forget why...had something to do with downloading Firefox) changed my profile to auto update, and they loaded windows 10 while I was asleep. I did not resist, just rolled over and gave them my belly.

It's strange, but kind of benign.

You know, I got my first smartphone last month, so I'm just kind of surrendering to change. They all want us on the cloud, and they want to shove all the apps they can right down our throats so they know our every move. Then, when the free cloud offer is over, they can go deep in our wallets for more storage. That I'll resist until I can't any more.

Reactions: Teegate

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Last evening I (for some reason, forget why...had something to do with downloading Firefox) changed my profile to auto update, and they loaded windows 10 while I was asleep. I did not resist, just rolled over and gave them my belly.

142121824.jpg

Reactions: Ben Ruset

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Bob, go over the privacy settings, my wife disabled a lot of stuff, they even allow 3rd party cookies by default.

Reactions: bobpbx

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My son returned home today to a Welcome to Windows 10 blue screen. Rollback is very easy, they give you 30 days to do it. :guinness:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
My mom bought a new computer and it came with Win10 on it. She seems to really like it and she's not particularly keen on change.

I can't wait until it gets better and then lights a fire under Apple for them to work on some of their problems.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I can't wait until it gets better and then lights a fire under Apple for them to work on some of their problems.

I have a serious problem with Spotlight. If I do a search and then "Show all in Finder" and view one of them, when I hit the back button the window is blank. I have to do the search again every time I want to move on to another file. Very frustrating.

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
Fired up my desktop this AM to find a screen telling me "Welcome to Windows 10" Had two choices, click on "I'm not ninemileskid' or click "next". No decline button. Got on my smartphone and found a solution that worked for me. Clicked "next" and declined the licensing agreement. It asked me if I was sure and when I said yes it went black and then told me it was reloading my previous Windows, which it eventually did.
I'm not happy with their tactics!!!!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Update:

I've had Windows 10 and Firefox since May. I'm really happy with both. My explorer virtually never freezes and they have a cool pop-up that comes up and asks if you want to use Flash just this one time for the window you are on (and they only do it if you need to see the video). I find Windows 10 a lot smoother and more more intuitive than Windows 7. I especially like how Windows explorer is presented. I can put any folder in "quick Access" and yet they also stay in the original directories too. I was originally miffed when they did not bring back "recently used folders" but with this quick access, I don't really need it anymore. Also, my memory never gets jammed up with junk anymore....I never have to open task manager to see who the offender is (or "wonder" who the offender is).

Your results may be different, but just wanted to put this out there for digestion.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I upgraded this morning and am wrestling to find everything. I did a custom install and disallowed most of the stuff. I am using Edge as my browser but just discovered that the Garmin Communicator does not work in Edge, I must launch Internet Explorer. I'm sure there will be more.