1/4 mile update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
See I knew this was gonna happen , it's gonna be never ending and you will never be satisfied , once one area that you complain about gets something done with you will target down on more and more areas , jemima mt isn't all that except for a few ruts on the hill but the area itself it's free of liter and for the most part no destruction of excisting vegatation , I was back just not that long ago after one of the storms hit and you could clearly see a path of a tornado that took so many trees down I couldn't even beleive , I'll post some pics of that , maybe you can control the weather from destructing the woods too if you bitch enough

The hill is being increasingly denuded by new trails of people driving around the fallen trees. The old/giant ruts are eroding and the sedimentation is burying the flora at the base of the hill.

The fallen trees are natural and are not causing erosion, most were snapped and mid trunk. They are providing food for insects which will become bird and reptile food.

The opening up of the canopy is also a good thing. It enables small trees and other plants such as grassesto gain a foothold.

09 09.04.10 Jemima Mount new trail.jpg

11 09.04.10 Jemima Mount new trail.jpg

10 09.04.10 Jemima Mount new trail.jpg

New trails and erosion on Jemima Mt

12 09.04.10 Jemima Mount trees.jpg

Trees toppled by storm/wind sheer

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
I see where your coming from and make a valid point with out over doing it this time, just saying on this one but jemima mt sees no where near the amount of activity and destruction as 1/4 mile , I love going up there just to enjoy the peaceful scenic area and just relaxing without being botherd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
FWIW, it's not just the land area's being over run. If you have never been to the area of the bay known as the Marine Conservation Zone, it is as pristine as some areas of the Pines. PWC's are not allowed within the zone, traditional boats are. The zone is administered by DEP. BTW, the break in the dike is due to the Army Corp of Engineers trying to control the inlet.

From a birders log from this past weekend.

"Fans of the Barnegat Bay might be interested to know that the break in the dike along Barnegat Inlet is letting more than strong currents enter the Marine Conservation Area at the south end of IBSP. Large private fishing boats are pulling in from the Inlet and parking in the
shallows. And word has obviously spread that budgetary cutbacks have eliminated
Park patrols in the Bay. Jetskis flew through the Conservation Area all day on
Saturday. And motorized boats flaunted the "No wake" rule while using the
Conservation Area as a shortcut to the newly-accessible Inlet. The person who
answered the phone at the IBSP Gatehouse claimed the park staff had "no
jurisdiction" and gave me the number for the NJ Marine Police/State Police. By
the time they returned my call, the most recent jetskier was exiting the Conservation Area so the SP cancelled my complaint. Of course, the jetskier circled each of the sedge islands at top
speed on his way out, maximizing the damage. Because they can travel in very
shallow water, jetskis undermine banks of eelgrass, the life blood of the
Bay. State, local, and EPA experts I approached at the IBSP Beach Plum Festival
on Sunday all claimed to be helpless to stop the attack on the Conservation
Area by watercraft. But with the recession and state cutbacks expected to last
into the foreseeable future, there will be nothing left to protect or educate
the public about before long."

ibsp2.gif

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You're welcome! Who am I to say anything? that's a good question. Who are you to say anything?

Kim,

If you can't post without saying something constructive I am going to start deleting them all.

Guy

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
FWIW, it's not just the land area's being over run. If you have never been to the area of the bay known as the Marine Conservation Zone, it is as pristine as some areas of the Pines. PWB's are not allowed within the zone, traditional boats are. The zone is administered by DEP. BTW, the break in the dike is due to the Army Corp of Engineers trying to control the inlet.

From a birders log from this past weekend.

"Fans of the Barnegat Bay might be interested to know that the break in the dike along Barnegat Inlet is letting more than strong currents enter the Marine Conservation Area at the south end of IBSP. Large private fishing boats are pulling in from the Inlet and parking in the
shallows. And word has obviously spread that budgetary cutbacks have eliminated
Park patrols in the Bay. Jetskis flew through the Conservation Area all day on
Saturday. And motorized boats flaunted the "No wake" rule while using the
Conservation Area as a shortcut to the newly-accessible Inlet. The person who
answered the phone at the IBSP Gatehouse claimed the park staff had "no
jurisdiction" and gave me the number for the NJ Marine Police/State Police. By
the time they returned my call, the most recent jetskier was exiting the Conservation Area so the SP cancelled my complaint. Of course, the jetskier circled each of the sedge islands at top
speed on his way out, maximizing the damage. Because they can travel in very
shallow water, jetskis undermine banks of eelgrass, the life blood of the
Bay. State, local, and EPA experts I approached at the IBSP Beach Plum Festival
on Sunday all claimed to be helpless to stop the attack on the Conservation
Area by watercraft. But with the recession and state cutbacks expected to last
into the foreseeable future, there will be nothing left to protect or educate
the public about before long."

ibsp2.gif
thats some pretty interesting stuff there i had no idea about

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

This thread is for keeping us informed on what is going on at 1/4 mile, so lets try to keep our posts on point and civil. Over the years because of some pressure by various individuals I have adopted the belief that all of the posts should be left as is, but as Ben has found out in the past that really does not work. So starting now I will be deleting all posts concerning the damage that is occurring in the pines, that stray from the subject matter or become uncivil. Obviously, Ben will have the final say but I suspect he will side with me.

Guy

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
All,

This thread is for keeping us informed on what is going on at 1/4 mile, so lets try to keep our posts on point and civil. Over the years because of some pressure by various individuals I have adopted the belief that all of the posts should be left as is, but as Ben has found out in the past that really does not work. So starting now I will be deleting all posts concerning the damage that is occurring in the pines, that stray from the subject matter or become uncivil. Obviously, Ben will have the final say but I suspect he will side with me.

Guy
good idea , thats what i was trying to say earlier before i got ripped apart in private messages from a certain someone in this post , for absolutly no reason

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
yea i know what you mean , im actually nervous just going anywhere near wharton in general right now in any type of vehicle , whatever exactly happend back 1/4 mile last night i have no idea, i just know rangers were there and tickets and or arrests were made/issued ,maybe with that being done and once that word gets out it will keep alot of morons away from wharton period

Really? I did 20+ miles in Wharton on Saturday and I didn't feel even a little bit apprehensive.

Now if I had 35" rubber and mud caked an inch thick all over the truck I guess I would feel somewhat conspicuous.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
All,

Guy

Visited 1/4 mile early this morning, a warm fire, many beer bottles and a big jug of punch.

More recent trails through the wetlands and mud holes.

Lot of PB geradia in bloom.

Beautiful blue sky and a 40 mile drive in the woods.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Am I speaking in hieroglyphics or something? Did anybody notice all of the 1/4 mile threads going into the slag heap, and me writing in GIANT letters to not talk about 1/4 mile anymore?

I'm handing out some time outs now.

Status
Not open for further replies.