1950's campground

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
main.php

This map is from 1935. If you ever get a chance roam around there and check it out. Quite interesting. Take this map with you. That what I did.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Thanks Guy for the Map. I shall put it to use on some free Sunday.
I am aware that Rednek does have some interesting insights and info on our region. Seems my source is on the right "track" so to speak. Good clarification of the name by the way. I am sure the years may have muddied his pronunciation of it but it seems to tie in. Still would like to figure that fellow's name to track this campground. Time to start Googling the athletes of that era.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
George and Guy
That girl was the topic of a converstion I had with Frank Rusnak a few years ago when I was doing his Pinelands Commission development approvals for him.
He told me that she was a mistreated child of the Berzihski family. He was passing on what his father had told him.
He said her parents treated her like a rented mule and apparently she had had enough and purposely stood in the nearby tracks and was killed by a Jersey Central train..
Frank told me that there are still a few whackos that look for her ghost in the area.
As for the Britain family, Kenny Brittain from Atco told me some of his early family used to live in the big house next to the Episcopal Cemetary on Pennington Ave. I think he said it was his grandfather and I think his name was Ross.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
George and Guy
That girl was the topic of a converstion I had with Frank Rusnak a few years ago when I was doing his Pinelands Commission development approvals for him.
He told me that she was a mistreated child of the Berzihski family. He was passing on what his father had told him. He said her parents treated her like a rented mule and apparently she had had enough and purposely stood in the nearby tracks and was killed by a Jersey Central train..

Scott,
I guess that goes in hand with what Bud said about her being "not right or depressed". My thoughts were on stopping in on George Rusnak but Bud said he like as not wouldn't recall any details regarding the possibilty of a campground anyway. Is it possible she could be interred in their cemetary? One thing I do not do is go in without their permission. It's already been a hot topic and I have a deep seated loathing for cemetary goofs as it is. I would never want to be associated with "Ghosthunters"!!

G.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Scott,
I guess that goes in hand with what Bud said about her being "not right or depressed". My thoughts were on stopping in on George Rusnak but Bud said he like as not wouldn't recall any details regarding the possibilty of a campground anyway. Is it possible she could be interred in their cemetary? One thing I do not do is go in without their permission. It's already been a hot topic and I have a deep seated loathing for cemetary goofs as it is. I would never want to be associated with "Ghosthunters"!!

G.

If you are talking about the Chew Cemetery, why are you not going there? I have been there quite a few times and nobody said anything. None of the Chew family live there anymore. Maybe if you went in at night I could see them not wanting you there.

The question is who owns the property from the road to the cemetery?

Guy

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
Interesting post Largo. The name Lucky Mihalchik rang a bell as I've discussed him here before but did not know about his aviation affiliation. A quick google check revealed some very insightful info on this character. http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/NJ/Airfields_NJ_Trenton.html
I wish I had more information about the campground and the radio tower but I don't. It is mostly why I haven't posted about it sooner. Just not enough info and a faded memory. I think the only reason either subject was raised was because I had asked him if he has heard or ever encountered a problem with squatters setting up a homestead. How that conversation turned to a tower and a campground I have no idea.
As far as athletes here is one possibility.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Interesting post Largo. The name Lucky Mihalchik rang a bell as I've discussed him here before but did not know about his aviation affiliation.

King,

The airfield in question we have discussed here before. If you zoom out on the Chew Road area on topozone you can see where there is an airplane where the airfield was along Chew Road near the Cemetery. Don't confuse it with the Hammonton airfield in the below link. Just look at the middle of the map next to the name Rusnak.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.70777&lon=-74.78122&datum=nad27&u=4&layer=DRG&size=l&s=250

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Largo,

Concerning the junk yard....if you are referring to Chew Road, than Montalto & Myer is the info I have.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The question is who owns the property from the road to the cemetery?

Guy

The surrounding property is Rusnak's.
I have been into the cemetary twice and both times George Rusnak ran over to see what I was doing .
He was very personable after I explained who I was .
He gets concerned because of the wood in the back and his equipment. He has caught people in the past stealing wood.
Every Sunday in Church I see Nelson Pharo who is the caretaker of the cemetary. I will ask him this morning if he recalls the Berhinski tale.
He is originally from Dutchtown and has Chews on his mothers side of the family.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Guy,
Myers. Montalto is reference to something else.
The Chew Cemetary I am in fact familiar with and of course it has been discussed here many times. One of the ways I originally lurked this site. I was there once some ten years ago looking for something else so this girl's name was not an issue. The Chew people weren't even my object of interest at the time. Perhaps it is in fact time I go back. I still may want to talk to George Rusnak anyhoo. And the airfield, one of a few local that I believe served for cropdusters, like the one behind Silver Fox in Hammonton. ( again, not to be confused with Hammonton airport ).
King,
Campground or not, the thread has opened some fun topics. It's all good. I will still be puzzling and snooping about the "campground" just the same. spare time projects make for good things to do in the future.

g.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I talked to Nelson Phero today in Church and he does not recall the tale of the girl and the train.
We talked a little about the cemetary and he told me that he has a picture at home of his great-grand mother holding his mother in front of a "hotel" that once stood in front of the cemetary along Chew road!
He promised to bring it in next week and I will attempt to photograph it and post it here.
He is a colorful character and has a great sense of humor.
I completely forgot to ask him about the campground question.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
The Hotel may or may not have something to do with the fact that there was a Chew Road stop for the JCR at one time.

Bluetick1

Dec 3, 2006
Hi all, lurker posting alert!

Kingofthepines posting about an ex athlete who owned a bunch of land and sold it off perked my ears up some…. But I had to skim over Google maps and shake the cobwebs out of the gray matter…it’s been about 25 years since I have been down that way…

I was an avid enduro rider and spent many, many hours riding around Bass River. One of the areas we rode for recreation and camped at was Chips Folly Campground on Rt. 563. We had a route that took us out to Chatsworth Road where we crossed and rode up towards Bass River State Forest. Where we crossed Chatsworth Rd. was a decent sized lake or maybe an old bog. On the other side of Chatsworth Rd. (the Bass River Forest side) and across the lake sat a large home. One day I asked about it and got the story that the owner had been in the Olympics and had done ok. After that he had brought up a bunch of acres for a campground/building sites and had the home built.

I remember being told that this guy was closing or had closed the campground and was selling it off or had sold to the state or possibly the government. I believe there was an entrance to the campground on Chatsworth Rd (near Stage Rd. maybe?) somewhere close to his home. I also kinda remember that he might have had some issues with the selling of the land. I don’t know just what they were, other than something had happened with the sale.

Hope this helped some with Kings question.

Google link below. The house sits to the right of the water and just above the road where it crosses the water.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...4.479119&spn=0.004751,0.014259&t=h&iwloc=addr

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Welcome aboard.

that house, sits across from The old timberline campground. That is right, the chips folley road comes out just on the other side of the bog. Anyway that house has been for sale for a while. It is amazing!! you can look at it on line. I think they want like a million for it. Wish I had the dough!

Jeff