1960's NY Times travel article on the NJ Pine Barrens

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I think that John McPhee's book is great, but my original introduction to the Pine Barrens came by way of a fascinating NY Times travel article back in the 1960's, about those "windswept pines". That's what first got me to go down there and explore the place and fall in love with it. I thought I had a brittle old copy of that article, but now I can't find it. Has it been mentioned on here before, and might there be an easily accessible existing online copy? I suppose it would be in the NY Times archives, but I believe you need to be a subscriber...​

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Put in my credit card info - and got this error message:

"This offer may no longer be available..."

Maybe I can still find it someplace...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is odd. It does not seem to be an offer, it is an item for sale at the same price all of them are for. Sounds like something wrong on that site.

Guy

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Scratch that. It worked now, and yes, that's it all right!

Attachments

• NJ Pine Barrens _Wild and Windswept Plains_ 1969.PDF
    866.4 KB · Views: 418

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A very interesting article! Thanks for letting us view it after paying for it.

I find it extremly interesting that what is now Barnegat Wreckers on 72 was called Applegates back then. In later years when I first visited it was Henneckers gas staion and had a hugh weeping willow tree along the road. I have a photo of the place that my friend took out of the window of my car. It is one of the photo's I have never posted because my friend took it and one day I may have a use for it :)

Guy

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
You're welcome! It's very well written and it's what first brought the Barrens to my attention. I had never heard of it before. And the Plains is still the most intriguing part of the Barrens for me. Big sky all around. You can't believe you're in New Jersey! I have these old photos of me towering over the forest, like Paul Bunyan, like in my avatar. That forest fluctuates in height over the years. The last time I was there the forest was taller than it was back then. How is it now?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is really tall except where the fires have been in recent years. It is a shame that many individuals here never viewed the great view offered in the past along Route 72. They put the fires out so quickly that the trees are growing unusually high. You can tell that article is old because it mentions the trees across from the station are short, and that is not how it is today. I always enjoyed riding home along 72 just before or during sunset and you could see forever. Those days are gone.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
After the big fire a few years back near 539.

IMG_0848.JPG

Guy

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
The Plains the way they used to be...

Attachments

• May 1976, in The Plains, Pine Barrens.jpg
    May 1976, in The Plains, Pine Barrens.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 386
  • The Plains.jpg
    The Plains.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 339
  • May 1976, standing ona sandy road in The Plains in the Pine Barrens+.jpg
    May 1976, standing ona sandy road in The Plains in the Pine Barrens+.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 380
Reactions: Trailwalker

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice! There are places along 539 where they are like that still, but along 72 it is hard to find.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Those are some really cool photos, now I know why they call them the plains. I spent alot of time doing some work up in the plains last year and it quickly became my favorite place in the barrens. I know this has been mentioned on here by Jeff I think but you always feel like the ocean is going to be around the bend or over the next dunes in the plains.