2 miles to L.G.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
On the subject of vandals, which came up in the Hampton Furnace stone stealing thread: some of you may have read Beck's "Tales and Towns of Northern New Jersey," in which he mentions a mile marker on the road from Allamuchy to Johnsonburg reading "2 to L.G." The initials refer to Log Gaol, a very old name for Johnsonburg. According to Beck this was considered the oldest object in Warren County at the time. When he went there in 1962 the marker had been removed because some vandal went after it with a crowbar. I visited the site last week and here are two pics. As you can see the marker has been repaired with cement, but looks nothing like Beck's 1955 picture of it. So unfortunately vandals aren't unique to our troubled times.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks for posting that. Stones are as much a part of history as anything else, and the people who damage them are in my opinion criminals stealing our history from us.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Yes. From the people in tow trucks trying to yank giant metal beams out of Martha to the folks at Hampton stealing stones from the building, to the people who tried to tow out 'Blacks Rock' near Aserdaten, to the LG stone, we see that New Jerseyians place a very low value on their history.

Almost as low of a value as the State places upon it.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
There are a couple of pics at the end of my other thread. The work on the mansion is dragging on, and the young lady behind the counter in the office said they keep pushing back the completion date.