2009 Double Trouble Cranberry Harvest

bogger

Oct 5, 2008
Sign on the bulletin board at the Double Trouble State Park information building says the 4-5 day harvest will start early to mid October, possibly around October 9th. In the past thease early guestimates from the leaseholders have been off by a couple days, depending on the weather the rest of the month, how productive the bogs they harvest before DT are, etc. I'll post here if the sign gets changed.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I called today and the recording said it would start on the 10th, subject to change. I will be away that weekend. Hopefully I can catch some on Monday.

Last year it ran for about a week. They have several bogs they work, some are not near the village but are off of Dover Rd.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The Double Trouble harvest has begun, they expect to be finished by Monday, 10/12 due to the great weather.

Passed by there a short time ago on the way back from Whitesbog, there is no place to park, cars are on both shoulders of Pinewald/Keswick Rd. Two bogs left to do; one has been thrashed and awaits the truck, last one will be thrashed and finished tomorrow.

Looks like Whitesbog is finished, at least near the village. All the reservoirs are full again. Last year they worked the bogs until the 17th. Not many folks out there; one guy training his Lab's, another flying his RC plane. Colors are getting very nice.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Took a ride out to the Double Trouble harvest yesterday afternoon. When we arrived around 1:30, parking was still at a premium. Luckily, we found a close spot , right behind the main sign. There were still many folks entering and leaving the village.

The picking crew was just finishing up the the 2nd bog back when we arrived.

The pickers then moved to the back bog on the other side of Cedar Creek.

Sweetwater Bog (Ned Lipman is probing the bottom for holes)

While the pickers were working the Sweetwater Bog, these fellas were gathering the fruit in the 2nd bog.

Pulling the boom (this looked like the hardest job)

After talking with Ned Lipman, he seemed disappointed with the harvest from the 1st bog (Sat.), and Sunday's harvest in the 2nd bog. He said they never get a good crop from the Sweetwater Bog. Something to do with dryness of the soil.
His brother Jeff arrived just as we were leaving around 4pm. He said the plan for Monday morning was to truck the berries from the 2nd bog and the Sweetwater, and then harvest the 3rd bog, which would finish up the four bogs behind the village. In the afternoon, they would move the operation over to the Dover Rd bogs, and finish up on Tuesday. He was hoping for a better harvest at the other bogs.
This is the first time I had ever witnessed the cranberry harvest from "up close". The village bogs are a fantastic place to see this operation, and the Lipman Bros. (and their crew) are more that happy to talk to any and all visitors, and answer your questions. Very friendly folks! I'll be going back next year.

John-

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Great pictures. They certainly are a friendly group. The Dover Rd bogs doesn't have nearly as many folks watching. I plan on stopping down tomorrow if the winds aren't too strong.

I was glad to see they got new thrashers, last year the old ones broke down so often it added days to their effort. The state doesn't allow them to tend the bogs they way they should, probably limits the harvest.

Breakdown.

4005871256_5491f8ee98.jpg

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
They must still have them, though. This old fella met the other two on the Sweetwater Bog in the back. He is obviously older than the other ones (and much louder). He didn't make 3 or 4 passes when this happened.

Another Breakdown.

Attachments

• DSCF0035.jpg
    DSCF0035.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 298