2019 First Day Hikes

Discussion in 'Get Togethers, Events, and Trip Reports' started by Zach McGarvey, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Zach McGarvey

Zach McGarvey Explorer

Information for this coming new years day's planned guided hikes has been posted on the state's website.

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/first_day_hikes.html

I'd like to do the Hampton to Atsion hike. I wonder if they will go down Riders Switch and then follow the tracks part of the way? That area around the trestle and the South end of Riders Switch feels like some of the remotest in Wharton, especially now that it's pretty much impossible to drive to.

2. Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe Explorer

Zach, did they close Riders Switch? Or is the road just bad? I haven't been there in a while. It's a long hike to the RR.

3. Zach McGarvey

Zach McGarvey Explorer

There's been a giant mud hole a few hundred feet from Hampton Rd that was passable if you had a big, tall vehicle. But sometime during last winter a tree fell down across the hole and completely blocked access. Last time I was there in the summer, there were tracks from some sort of bulldozer that was used to plow the road, but the tree was left there. Beyond that point the road is fine, all the way to the tracks. It seems like they are leaving it intentionally blocked.

4. Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe Explorer

That is one way to block access without making it official. Big trees make narrow roads impassible. On the other hand, if hunters need access, I've noticed they chainsaw fallen trees or create a new go-around. Which is fine with me, because I like access too, if the road is legal.

5. 92 Blazer Jeff

92 Blazer Jeff Explorer

I was out to Rider Switch in the spring and the road was fine, just some puddles didn't need 4 WD. I parked at the end and walked the tracks to Quarter Mile. I would like to get out that way again if it ever stops raining.

6. Zach McGarvey

Zach McGarvey Explorer

Maybe you were through there before the big tree came down? Last time i visited, it was completely blocked, and that was late summer or early fall.

7. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

15.2 miles at Spruce Run? That is a bit much.

8. 92 Blazer Jeff

92 Blazer Jeff Explorer

Could be, if I go I will take my little homlite chain saw. I used it this summer to clear blow downs on the Mullica river in my kayak just below pleasant mills put in.

9. MuckSavage

MuckSavage Explorer

@92 Blazer Jeff ...if you wanna keep the greenies happy, replace your bar & chain oil with vegetable oil!;)

10. ecampbell

ecampbell Piney

I used some old gear oil once. Buy was that a big mistake!:eek:

11. Zach McGarvey

Zach McGarvey Explorer

I hate gear oil, especially when it's already been in a truck axle for a couple years. Nasty, stinky stuff!

12. 92 Blazer Jeff

92 Blazer Jeff Explorer

I use STIHL bioplus bar oil it's vegetable oil based, Canola oil I believe . I drained the old oil out and flushed it with some kerosene be for putting in the new oil.

MuckSavage likes this.
  13. MuckSavage

MuckSavage Explorer

I'm familiar with the Stihl product. Thumbs up!

#13 MuckSavage, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    92 Blazer Jeff likes this.
  14. 92 Blazer Jeff

92 Blazer Jeff Explorer

Gear oil is to thick, if you can't find bar & chain oil you can use 10W motor oil.

15. lj762

lj762 Explorer

(Switching back from chainsaw oil to first day hikes...)

Eric, the hike leader for the Bass River State Forest First Day Hike at Warren Grove Recreation Area, needs more people to sign up and go on his hike through the Little Pine Plains. The starting point is Beaver Dam Rd and Radio Tower Rd at 1:00pm. I do not know where he will go from there, but he said the hike will include a hill with a really great view all around. You can call the Bass River SF office at 609-296-1114 (Mon - Sat 8am-4pm, Sun 10am-4pm) to register. Tell them how many people you are bringing, and then show up! What else is there to do on 1/1?

16. imkms

imkms Explorer

FWIW, on the weather report tonight they stated a possible snow event around New Years.

17. Broke Jeep Joe

Broke Jeep Joe Explorer

FWIW I was at Rider's and Hampton yesterday. The road is flooded, went down a bit, didn't see any tree blocking my way, just lack of a small water craft!! If anyone is travelling Glossy Spung, it is flooded in several spots also if you weren't already aware, some are quite deep but flat.

18. Zach McGarvey

Zach McGarvey Explorer

I guess someone beat you to it and cleared that tree. That big puddle in the first 1/4 mile has been there for as long as I can remember and turns a deep green in the summertime from algae.

Broke Jeep Joe and Jon Holcombe like this.
  19. Broke Jeep Joe

Broke Jeep Joe Explorer

Yea, I've been on Rider's many a time, its very wet now

20. lj762

lj762 Explorer

DEP news release on First Day Hikes: https://www.nj.gov/dep/newsrel/2018/18_0110.htm
    Mark Texel, Assistant Director of the State Park Service: "The free hikes offer an incentive to get outside and exercise, experience history, enjoy nature and celebrate 2019 with friends and family in one of your state parks".

It's not too late to sign up... Weather looks OK, mostly cloudy, chance of showers, hi 56! (for Bass River area) Last year we had 8 - 18 degrees, remember?