2019 First Day Hikes

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Ended up going to Parvin S.P. and the turnout was good. Got about a three hour kayak paddle in beforehand. Perfect temperature but high winds made the lake very choppy! It was like kayaking in the ocean.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Forecast high temperature for Warren Grove R.A. area for the 1/1 First Day hike is 61 degrees.
Last year's First Day Hike forecast high was 13 degrees.
How did it go? I passed by around 3:30 PM and the "tower" rd was lined both sides with cars. Appeared to be a good turn out.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
We got 40 people at Warren Grove R.A. (They upped the limit from 25, and were turning away people after they reached 40.) We made it through a lot of wet spots, flooding, mud, but even though the hike leader walked the path Monday, Monday night's heavy rain meant there was one newly flooded section we could not get through. We took an alternate route, made it to the top of the hill, and made it back. Nobody fell in, which was good, but nobody came back mud-free either.

There was also some drama with an 'event' nearby involving 'unconventional' vehicles. You weren't part of that, were you?

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
There was also some drama with an 'event' nearby involving 'unconventional' vehicles. You weren't part of that, were you?
Glad to hear all went well. Wet everywhere is putting it mildly, LOL.
I just happened to be driving by in my van at the time. I know the area, the hill and how wet it is in there. I have no doubt you and the hike leader know much more details of the area, all I'm saying is I'm familiar with the general area.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
No, I've never been there before. ("Little Pine Plains" I think they call it.) It's an interesting place but yes it was too wet. Also there were a lot of people on this hike. Some folks think it was too many - one quit before we got started when she saw the crowd size, and others were just unhappy the whole way. In many places we were spread out single file, and then had to wait until the slow-pokes at the end caught up. But I had a good time.

The hike leader talked a bit about the Keith Line and its history, and we were walking part of the way along it.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
We got 40 people at Warren Grove R.A. (They upped the limit from 25, and were turning away people after they reached 40.)...There was also some drama with an 'event' nearby involving 'unconventional' vehicles. You weren't part of that, were you?

40, yikes! I love it when PBX hikes are 6-8. More than 12 is no longer a hike among close friends.

What was the drama with the unconventional vehicles?

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I've never been on an organized hike, but I would agree you had way to many. I realize it's hard to say no to folks when the size limit has been reached. Perhaps the "best" way would have been to schedule another hike another day? Is the Keith Line the East/West Jersey line?
You know I actually thought about showing up for the hike since it was short and probably interesting to learn more about the area. Now I'm glad I didn't. LOL

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
The Keith Line (wikipedia) was surveyed in 1686. In our area it is part of the boundary of Ocean and Burlington counties, including one side of that weird pointy tip of Little Egg Harbor Twp.

I heard that the Atsion hike, run by Outdoor Club of South Jersey (OCSJ), usually gets around 100 people.

Here's a few of our group hiking down the hill. (It was nice and dry on the hill.) And yes, even though it was nearly 60 degrees, many of us had hoods up or hats. It was windy. Of course, one guy showed up wearing shorts.
FirstDayHike_WGRA.jpg

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
What was the drama with the unconventional vehicles?
Dual-sport motor bikes, some with visible license plates but some without, driving by or transported on trailers; 'monster' trucks - those things with the huge tires; 'quads' or ATVs, some driving on the road and some on trailers, pickup trucks loaded with wood pallets (haven't figured that one out - someone thought they were going to burn them in a bonfire?)... stuff like that. It was like a parade, but without balloons, went on for a while. I don't know where they went or what they did, but I think State Park Police took interest.