2019 South Jersey LIDAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Interesting Gabe. On the regular aerial, are there any roads or trails leading to it? Is that the edge of a hard road I see in the upper left corner?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Reminds me of this, but probably smaller?

https://boydsmaps.com/#17/39.85206/-74.30787/lidarHD

I mentioned it in the sand pit thread, but this was the original:

Last edited:
Reactions: pinelandpaddler
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Reminds me of this, but probably smaller?

https://online.boydsmaps.com/#17/39.85206/-74.30787/lidarHD

I mentioned it in the sand pit thread, but this was the original:

Did you ever figure out what that is?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
It's strange to me that the 2019 lidar is so much more detailed than the lidar found in boydsmaps, yet things show up in the latter that don't show up in the former. Why is that?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Interesting Gabe. On the regular aerial, are there any roads or trails leading to it? Is that the edge of a hard road I see in the upper left corner?

Bob, that's a dirt road you see. Here's the 1931 aerial. Notice the path going right through the center of the feature (the feature is where the target is).

Attachments

• Screenshot (73).png
    Screenshot (73).png
    187.5 KB · Views: 134

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The 2015 1-meter LIDAR only covers Camden, Burlington and Gloucester Counties. My old map used the older 3-meter (1/9 arc-second) LIDAR for all the areas that are covered by this new 2019 LIDAR. That is a huge difference in resolution. Imagine a little shed that is 10 feet x 10 feet. It would be represented by one pixel on the 2015 LIDAR. There would be 9 pixels representing the same shed on the 2019 LIDAR - quite a difference when looking for details.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
The 2015 1-meter LIDAR only covers Camden, Burlington and Gloucester Counties. My old map used the older 3-meter (1/9 arc-second) LIDAR for all the areas that are covered by this new 2019 LIDAR. That is a huge difference in resolution. Imagine a little shed that is 10 feet x 10 feet. It would be represented by one pixel on the 2015 LIDAR. There would be 9 pixels representing the same shed on the 2019 LIDAR - quite a difference when looking for details.

Right, but why is it that certain trails show up on the lower resolution lidar but not on the higher reolution images?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
...And I should also add that the 2019 LIDAR actually has a resolution of 2 feet per pixel, so my earlier example was too conservative - it would be more like 25 pixels representing the 10 ft shed. However, I have down-sampled it to 1-meter to match the 2015 LIDAR and to keep the size of my new map reasonable.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Surprise!... LIDAR in the Pines 2021 (Monochrome Edition) is now available :dance:

I'll still be releasing another map with roads, waterbodies, etc but this was pretty straightforward when I finally finished preparing all the elevation data. It's rendered in a style similar to the NJGIN map, but I tried to bring out more detail by using more vertical exaggeration, a lower light angle and less intense highlight.

NJGIN (old) Version

njgin.jpg

Boyd's (new) Version

boyd.jpg

The map consists of 1-meter (or better) resolution LIDAR DEM for everything South of I-195 plus parts of PA and DE bordering the Delaware River. This combines my existing data from LIDAR in the Pines HD, the new South NJ 2019 LIDAR and I also downloaded quite a bit of additional USGS 3DEP LIDAR to fill in all the missing puzzle-pieces.

Although the mobile site is optimized for smaller touchscreens, it works fine on computers. You might reduce the size of your browser window for a better experience. Use the right mouse button to tilt and rotate the map in 3d, you can return to standard north-up view by clicking the compass. To link to a specific map view, press the menu button and choose Export.

lidar2021.jpg
I have not decided whether to put this map on the desktop site, which is basically frozen until I complete the mobile site. At that point, the desktop app will be completely updated to use the same 3d Maptalks API and my custom code.

Note: I'll be shutting down the 2019 LIDAR Viewer site that was temporarily created since you can now fully access these maps.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Super-dooper. Thanks Boyd.
Surprise!... LIDAR in the Pines 2021 (Monochrome Edition) is now available at mobile.boydsmaps.com :dance:

I'll still be releasing another map with roads, waterbodies, etc but this was pretty straightforward when I finally finished preparing all the elevation data. It's rendered in a style similar to the NJGIN map, but I tried to bring out more detail by using more vertical exaggeration, a lower light angle and less intense highlight.

NJGIN (old) Version

View attachment 14945

Boyd's (new) Version

View attachment 14946

The map consists of 1-meter (or better) resolution LIDAR DEM for everything South of I-195 plus parts of PA and DE bordering the Delaware River. This combines my existing data from LIDAR in the Pines HD, the new South NJ 2019 LIDAR and I also downloaded quite a bit of additional USGS 3DEP LIDAR to fill in all the missing puzzle-pieces.

Although the mobile site is optimized for smaller touchscreens, it works fine on computers. You might reduce the size of your browser window for a better experience. Use the right mouse button to tilt and rotate the map in 3d, you can return to standard north-up view by clicking the compass. To link to a specific map view, press the menu button and choose Export.

View attachment 14944
I have not decided whether to put this map on the desktop site, which is basically frozen until I complete the mobile site. At that point, the desktop app will be completely updated to use the same 3d Maptalks API and my custom code.

Note: I'll be shutting down the 2019 LIDAR Viewer site that was temporarily created since you can now fully access these maps.
Incredible!

Reactions: Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thanks again Boyd! especially for putting coords to it. Makes locating tar kilns much easier then trying to match different aerials which works but takes a bit of time and head banging in areas where there are no notable trees or tree patterns.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks again Boyd! especially for putting coords to it. Makes locating tar kilns much easier then trying to match different aerials which works but takes a bit of time and head banging in areas where there are no notable trees or tree patterns.
Al,

The Hillshade Lidar site allows you to get coordinates. Just click on "Measure" and then click on the square icon next to the ruler. Once you click on the map at any location the coordinates show up. You can also change it to DMS.

Reactions: manumuskin

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Nothing impervious there Al, just another example of hydro flattening. When the imagery is processed they use the boundaries of the waterbody (not sure of the source) and set the elevation of everything inside to the mean elevation of the water. In this case, that island obviously wasn't included in their data. Maybe it was an oversight or was just too small?

I used 2012 landcover data for the waterbodies in my 2020 map and that island is shown.

https://boydsmaps.com/#17/39.43177/-75.06823/pines2020

It is not on any of the Lidar imagery but yet I have stood on it.

Note quite true, it shows on my new LIDAR 2021 HD map which uses that same waterbody data. :D

https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.431770/-75.068230/lidar2021hd/0.00/0.00

But the green color of the island is actually the flat surface of the water, so technically, it doesn't show on the LIDAR. You can also see where my waterbody data doesn't quite match the LIDAR in the islands/shoreline north of there too.

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Nothing impervious there Al, just another example of hydro flattening. When the imagery is processed they use the boundaries of the waterbody (not sure of the source) and set the elevation of everything inside to the mean elevation of the water. In this case, that island obviously wasn't included in their data. Maybe it was an oversight or was just too small?

I used 2012 landcover data for the waterbodies in my 2020 map and that island is shown.

https://online.boydsmaps.com/#17/39.43177/-75.06823/pines2020

Note quite true, it shows on my new LIDAR 2021 HD map which uses that same waterbody data. :D

https://mobile.boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.431770/-75.068230/lidar2021hd/0.00/0.00

But the green color of the island is actually the flat surface of the water, so technically, it doesn't show on the LIDAR. You can also see where my waterbody data doesn't quite match the LIDAR in the islands/shoreline north of there too.
That island is all of three ft above lake level in the center and so thick you can barely get onto it.You can actually walk across the top of the lake from there across Old Colonial Dam which is the original dam in the lake from the 1700's.In the summer a rim of grass grows on the dam and it can be seen thta way but in winter you don't see it till your floating across it.It;s maybe four or five inches below water and the two spill ways at each end are several ft deep.The one near the is;land being deeper at about chest deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.