Status
Not open for further replies.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
No longer relevant: New map is available at: https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.847705/-74.289305/lidar2021bw/0.00/0.00

As posted previously, I need to load a map first, then take the parameters from what is displayed on the screen and create a command that will fetch the matching LIDAR image. This was just a quick attempt to provide some access to this dataset and allow you to link to specific locations. It is what it is - if the consensus is that it's not useful, I'll take it down.

But I think you can do something like what you suggest anyway, it will just involve one extra click. Create some bookmarks of areas that interest you, then just click the LIDAR button as soon as the map loads. But there really isn't any way that you can zoom or scroll around the LIDAR image if that's what you want, all I can do is download one big image.

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Just to be clear Boyd, I am fascinated to see the gouges in the landscape while I am viewing the recent Lidar for the missing Southern counties that you posted. I don't see these gouges or other land disturbances to this detail on an aerial -- I have to logged on to your Lidar first. Only trouble is, as you know, the Lidar has no coordinates. So my question was, is there a way to, say, zoom in on a suspected cellar hole in the Lidar, and then fetch an aerial that has the coordinates at the same spot.

I don't expect any answer or any solution, I just wanted to make clear what I was saying.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
No longer relevant: New map is available at: https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.847705/-74.289305/lidar2021bw/0.00/0.00

That's fine Bob, but what you see is what you get on this site, I don't plan to spend any more time on it. It's a quick hack that allows you to pick a spot on the map and view a LIDAR image, with the ability to share or bookmark links to that map The coordinates of the center cross are correct, so the (admittedly awkward) solution is to bounce back and forth between the aerial and LIDAR until you have positioned the crosshairs over what interests you.

As I said, this is really just a temporary site that will go away after I can make a "real" map, which will require data that is not currently available anywhere. However.... the code I wrote for this little site provides a framework that can be modified to download 1024x1024-meter georeferenced images. So, I will cobble that code together and download the missing sections of my other LIDAR map(s). This will take awhile, but LIDAR in the Pines 2021 will (hopefully) be available in the spring!

Just to be clear though, this will just let me download the images you see here, not the actual LIDAR elevation data, so my new map will use the same monochrome style.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is hard to decide where to post this, however; since we are discussing this map I will do it here this time. While many here were looking over the map, Jessica and I were out this morning checking about 10 locations we saw. Most were duds.

This one was interesting to view on the map. It is fairly remote and even after visiting it I am still not sure what it was for.

land.jpg

Here is the big hole on the right today.

DSC_1452a.jpg

And we revisited the well and cellar hole at Union Clay Works shown here. It has been quite a few years since we have been there and someone has blocked off the well to keep anyone from falling it.

well.jpg

DSC_1444a.jpg

We also revisited the ruins of Union Clay Works which was disappointing. Many years ago the state ran a firebreak right past the place actually hitting the remains of a wall of the building. Now a tree has fallen forcing the motorcycle rider who use the firebreak to detour right across the ruins of the steam engine location. The bolts that held the steam engine have been pushed down by someone to keep the riders from hitting it, leaving just one lone bolt still standing upright.

The damaged bolt in the new path and the one standing nearby.

DSC_1428a.jpg

Other views from today.

DSC_1432a.jpg

DSC_1424a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you look closely at the second photo we may have an idea what was going on there. I have removed the firebreak that the yellow arrows point to that went straight through it which you can see in the first one.

I think we can be pretty certain it was all part of making a firebreak. Maybe practicing or whatever. In any event, I believe they dug this out either at the end of or the begging of making the firebreak that leaves the area area the magenta colored arrow points to. The one I removed is from a later time as you can see it cuts through the previously cut lines.

land.jpg

land1.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I don't know Guy. Looks more to me like something very heavy made an impression on the ground. I understand it's a long shot, but I don't think it has anything to do with practicing to make a firebreak. They use a specific blade for that.

What if they needed to take a track off of a bulldozer or a bigger machine out there in the woods. Maybe it's underground now.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They don't really stick out. Remember, it is full of snow right now. Hard to see.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
the code I wrote for this little site provides a framework that can be modified to download 1024x1024-meter georeferenced images. So, I will cobble that code together and download the missing sections of my other LIDAR map(s). Just to be clear though, this will just let me download the images you see here, not the actual LIDAR elevation data, so my new map will use the same monochrome style.

Well... what do you know? Turns out that elevation grid files compatible with my software actually *are* available from NJGIN. But, man, they make stuff hard to find unless you know where to look. They have moved all their big files to AWS (Amazon Web Services) where you can directly download with the AWS CLI (command-line interface). Never used AWS before, so this was a bit intimidating, but it's straightforward for someone familiar with unix.

Right now I'm downloading all 95gb of the new elevation data, did a test and they open up beautifully in GlobalMapper. :dance: So LIDAR in the Pines 2021 will be *much* easier than originally anticipated (although still a big project).

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Well... what do you know? Turns out that elevation grid files compatible with my software actually *are* available from NJGIN. But, man, they make stuff hard to find unless you know where to look. They have moved all their big files to AWS (Amazon Web Services) where you can directly download with the AWS CLI (command-line interface). Never used AWS before, so this was a bit intimidating, but it's straightforward for someone familiar with unix.

Right now I'm downloading all 95gb of the new elevation data, did a test and they open up beautifully in GlobalMapper. :dance: So LIDAR in the Pines 2021 will be *much* easier than originally anticipated (although still a big project).

This made my day!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
FWIW, I can now say that new LIDAR site will be very short-lived, the Windows virtual machine is smokin' away in the middle of a multi-day export of 100gb of new LIDAR data. Can be a slow and frustrating process massaging big datasets like this into a usable form. Not a promise, but my goal is to put a new LIDAR in the Pines 2021 map online in March. When that goes live, I will shut down this temporary site.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
OK, I split off a bunch of posts and created two new threads, that should help. :)

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
And here is one more, since it's a good topic that should have it's own thread.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
My most detailed imagery is on a special site, but coverage is limited and work has been suspended on the site unfortunately.

(note: the LIDAR site was shutdown in December 2021)

lidar.boydsmaps.com/#x100y041/shader/0/282/-369/-384/1/-352/-200/250/-900/50/2.5/3d
lidar.boydsmaps.com/3d/docs/completed.jpg

Aside from that, my most detailed map is here. We have discussed this before. Many areas of this map are the lower resolution LIDAR.

If you want more, just wait a bit. As I have said, LIDAR in the Pines 2021 is coming in March! :)
________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE 2/20/21: LIDAR in the Pines 2021 (Monochrome Edition) has arrived ahead of schedule!

https://boydsmaps.com/#16.00/39.807327/-74.589440/lidar2021bw/0.00/0.00
[/S]

Attachments

• lidar.jpg
    lidar.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.