600 acres along Menantico Creek preserved in Vineland

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I wonder if this means the old Menantico Colony buildings are to be demolished?
I found the deed on the Cumberland Records site and the Colony and lake are still private.The stream downstream from the lake and upstream above the lake as well are now public but the colony land which includes the buildings and the old lake are still in private hands.I"ll take a screen shot of the Deed Map and post it here

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
North is to the right.You can see the Lake is not inside the survey

Attachments

• Menanticon Map.jpg
    Menanticon Map.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 407

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Pretty cool. I can't count how many hours and days I spent back there, between ages 8-18 or so. The lake wasn't a lake, as long as I've known it. As far back as I can remember the dam was broken at the south east corner.

I know I previously mentioned on here that I had a close call with the law while exploring the menantico colony buildings. Not long afterwards, Weird NJ magazine did an article about the same, and it probably generated quite a bit of trespassing in the area. I got out without being charged- but it's doubtful I would have been so lucky after the article was published.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Found a few pictures from inside there. If the mods think it's in bad taste to post these, since they were taken by trespassing, let me know and I will take them down. Just to be clear, these are from at least 13 years ago.

IMG_0425.JPG
IMG_0426.JPG
IMG_0427.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG
IMG_0432.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Menantico

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I used to hang around the lake back in the late 70's.My uncle lived on sherman avenue and it was a fifteen minute walk behind his house to the Lake.Almost got busted in the screen house once but saw the man coming on a riding lawn mower.I was faster and when I hit the woods barefooted it was all she wrote for the old man on the mower.It was a lake back them with the stream exiting the SE corner. I have a few stories from those woods,I"ve waded menantico from the lake to Mays Landing rd and a bunch more besides.I take it if you don't remember the lake you must be a Whippersnapper. I"m border line old man here.