A fine Forked River Mountain day

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Great day for a hike. I'm a going to the mountain. Gonna get so my hearts beating, my nose is running, and I feel ALIVE! The sun is out and the view will be grand!

Leaving with Buddy about 1:30. If anyone wants to join me I'll tell you where to meet me on Lacey Road.

Whoops, too slow, try the elbow! Leaving right about now!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Sorry I didn't see your post till about 12:30. We would like to check out the FRM's someday.
My wife, me, the dog and my younger son, who was home from college for the weekend, took a ride out to the Mount and Jemima Mount area and hoofed around.
That area is quickly becoming one of my favorite areas.
Desolate and interesting topography.
Only saw one other vehicle all day and that was a tiny foreign (Subaru maybe) car with 4 guys in it looking like they just stole it.
Probably did.
Beautiful day in the woods and another good day to be breathing air.
Scott

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
RednekF350 said:
Sorry I didn't see your post till about 12:30. We would like to check out the FRM's someday.

I'll take you up anytime. By the way, for those of you who live closer, the mountain cleanup this year is Sunday, April 23rd. The cleanup actually takes place in various locations within the 25,000 acre area, but the hot dogs, cookies, and lemonade are on top of the mountain after the cleanup. Always a good day.

I had a b-day thing today but I did get out yesterday to hike. A friend and I went to Pyramid Mountain Natural Historical Area up in Morris Co.. Very nice area with rocky 800+ foot hills? mountains?:confused: The trails were fairly rugged and lead us through some nice valleys and hills. The inclines weren't too steep but still gave a good work out. I'll try to post a few pics later.

Steve

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That is some nice country up there. Have you ever been to Monksville Resevoir? Way up there. I climbed a tall hill in the spring of 1998. I was surprised to be loaded with ticks, more than I would get in the pines on a similar small hike.

Here are some pics:

A sign on the way to Pyramid Mountains. You could see the furnace from the road but access is denied.
The place we stopped at earlier, Wildcat Ridge WMA is also littered with ruins from mining operations dating from the late 1700's and are accessible.

normal_P1150778.JPG

If you go to my gallery you can click on the image to see it full size and read the sign.

A close up of the schematic

normal_P1150779.JPG

The lay of the land

normal_P1150784.JPG

Tripod Rock

normal_P1150803.JPG

normal_P1150787.JPG

This tree seemed to be protecting the rock

normal_P1150807.JPG

Steve

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You have to wonder about something the sign says. Some access is being denied to preserve the site. If there is no access, why preserve it? They want to give access to someone else in order to study it? What about in the year 2095? Still want to maintain it? I always wonder about that kind of stuff. How about graveyards? Should we maintain those around now in the year 3350?