A Fine Time For Fine Wine

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Some of you have here have had the pleasure, or misfortune :D , of imbibing several of my high octane garage-made wines over the past few years.

It's wine making time again and I always try to make everyone aware when the juices are in.
Well, they are in right now.
Gino's in Hammonton has about 17 varieties of reds and 14 whites in 6 gallon pails.
The juice is actually a "must" and is unpasteurized and ready to rock and roll right out of the bucket.
I am doing cab/sav, pinot noir and red zin.
http://ginopinto.com/

In October I go to another Hammonton source for fresh New York juices

All you do is add some sugar, if you like a potent, residually sweet wine like I do, or you can just pour the must into a demijon, insert an airlock, genuflect and come back in about 8 weeks and start slurping and slurring.

Prices range from $46.00 to $50.00 per 6 gallon pail and Gino's has everything else you would need.

I am going into the lab right now to mix them up and have a glass of last year's NY concord.
It's a lot of fun and much enjoyed all winter long.
Salute!
:)
Scott

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
I use to make wine several years ago and now you just sparked my interest in resuming this wholesome activity. It is always wonderful to taste the fruits of your labor. I use to buy juice from Hammonton and Missa bay in Swedesboro, both are good. Thank you for reminding me and good luck with your product.

TR

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Scott,
I kind of sucked up a whole bunch of your brew at a recent gathering.
Seemed to recall having the bottle in my hand at the end, although I must be mistaken as I could never be that crude. Pure Joy Sir! Continue whatever it is you are doing.

g.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Well, it is time to revive this thread.
The fresh juice is rolling in as I write this and by the end of this week, Gino's should have a full selection.
Prices are the same as last year.
I am picking mine up this week.

A lot of you have threatened to make your own wine each year but so far I haven't seen any new crazy juice out there on the trails.

It's stupid easy and the finished product makes you even stupider.

Scott

Reactions: Trailwalker

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If Jessica was not on her one year moratorium for drinking she may have given it a try.

Guy

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
If you like making wine from juice you should give the entire process a try. Equipment can be expensive during the initial purchase, but we split all ours between 6 families and it wasnt so bad. We order the grapes and put them through the old fashioned crusher, then a week later they go through the press, and the juices frement for 8-10 months before being bottled. We have a crushing party, a pressing party, and a bottling party and share last years wine. Its really an enjoyable process, but with all that wine, how can anything be bad?
PS- Alba Vineyard in NW NJ is having their annual grand harvest festival sept 25 and 26. After being to dozens of these events, this one takes the cake. Over 20 wineries, live music, bring your own chairs, food, and picnic supplies. The scenery up there is great this time of year too. You got the vineyard, some corn fields, mountains in the background, and the scenic Musky river (great for trout fishing by the way).

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
A lot of you have threatened to make your own wine each year but so far I haven't seen any new crazy juice out there on the trails.

It's stupid easy and the finished product makes you even stupider.

Scott

I'm on it! Per your fine recommendation I purchased supplies for myself and a friend for her birthday this spring.....we will be off to Ginos this week as well. Me for a white, she for a red. Thanks for the heads up.

When the cranberries come in we can get even "more stupider".

turtle

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I haven't made it in a while but I used to make it from the white peaches from the Glossy Fruit Company in Hammonton. Also blueberry's from Chatsworth. I still have a couple of bottels from the 90's. I used a blender to mash them up and fermented in a 30 gal plastic trash cans. I found that larger batches are less likely to spoil and it's fun to share. I still have the equipment. I also made it sparkling by using those stainless soda dispensers and charging it with CO2. It was also fun to take the "soda dispenser" to parties. I always ran it to maximum alcohol so I didn't need sulfites.

Ed

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Oh Ed....

If you are considering white peaches from Glossy Fruit again you should definately think about it this year (if they still have any!) The white peaches were like heavenly honey this year. I canned up about 20 qts to savor during winter snow storms :) I think we ate about 2 cases of them, every day for weeks. I can't remember a year where they tasted so good. Thank God there's an upside to dry, hot weather!

turtle

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I can't remember a year where they tasted so good.

turtle

Amen sister !
I thought it was just me.
Dottie bought some a few weeks ago and they were the best peaches I ever had in my life.
I was whacking them up in my Cheerios every day for a week.
Fresh peach wine sounds killer.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Oh Ed....

If you are considering white peaches from Glossy Fruit again you should definately think about it this year (if they still have any!) The white peaches were like heavenly honey this year. turtle

I love mine from Walmart. They have a little sticker on them that says NJ Peach. They taste like fluffy wet cotton with a hint (a tiny hint, like a lost memory) of peach.

Then again, I was at a friends house in Bucks County PA, and the peach from a local orchard was excellant!

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Bob,
Next time you wander "southeast of Atsion" head south on Rt. 206 about 4 miles to Glossy Fruit.....across from the Red Barn. White peaches and corn. :)
***Tasting fluffy,wet cotton - yuck. Reminds me of hateful dental work, nothing sweet about that either. :D

turtle

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It's the most wonderful season of the year again boys and squirrels !

Time to convert fragrant, pleasant tasting fresh grape juice into an elixir of life that will break down social barriers and turn the stoic into the stupid.

Gino's should be cranking full bore by this weekend. I'll be there tomorrow morning.

Here are the 2013 prices:
http://www.ginopinto.com/pdfs/2013 Retail Book Grapes & Juice.pdf

Not responsible for unplanned pregnancies

Reactions: Hewey

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Nice!

Scott, I look forward to your wine every season! I'm sure I'm not the only one. There is just something about your wine. The flavor, the body, the buzz. I have had a few other homemade wines and yours is by far the best.

I think I may give it a shot this year! The time is now if I want to do it. You have told me how easy it is. I have also watched some online videos about wine making. It does appear to be pretty simple.

Terry, I have yet to try your Hooch. I have heard it is good.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Chris,

Here is my thread from last year giving you step by step instructions with pics and a highly recommended IPA to help you through the process.
http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/time-for-wining-in-the-pines.7563/

In that thread I pointed out a suppplier up your way in Toms River, Oceans of Wine.
http://oceansofwine.com/
Take Ben with you as he has been threatening to make his own for some time now !

In a few weeks I'll be hooking up with the NY supplier for some concord and Niagara.

If you want to make the run down to Gino's let me know.

Scott

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Chris,

Here is my thread from last year giving you step by step instructions with pics and a highly recommended IPA to help you through the process.
http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/time-for-wining-in-the-pines.7563/

In that thread I pointed out a suppplier up your way in Toms River, Oceans of Wine.
http://oceansofwine.com/
Take Ben with you as he has been threatening to make his own for some time now !

In a few weeks I'll be hooking up with the NY supplier for some concord and Niagara.

If you want to make the run down to Gino's let me know.

Scott

Thank you, Scott!

I may make a run to Gino's this weekend. I will give you a heads upif I do. I should have came down last Saturday. Russ and I made a offshore run. We pretty much went on a 14 hour boat ride that cost us $400.00. Zero fish. I could have picked up what I needed to make the wine and still had some money in my pocket. We may make a run Sunday if the offshore forecast holds. If we end up bailing on the trip, I may run down to Gino's on Sunday instead. With Saturday being the opening day of archery season, that day is out of the question. I imagine I will be butchering by 9am Saturday.

Chris