A Fine Time For Fine Wine

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The 2023 Juice is peacefully fermenting in the garage.
36 gallons of Barbera picked up on Friday night at Gino's. Two hours of scrubbing and sanitizing the demijohns on Friday and 2 hours yesterday sweetening and putting it put up.

Can't wait to get stupid! :D Or stupider.

Attachments

• smallIMG_3591.jpg
    smallIMG_3591.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 99
  • smallIMG_3597.jpg
    smallIMG_3597.jpg
    767.1 KB · Views: 103
  • smallIMG_3599.jpg
    smallIMG_3599.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 96

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I look foward to it Scott. I mean, there's always Uber or Lyft.
I couldn't do that Bob, that would be a sign of weakness. ;)
It hasn't happened yet but I would much rather sleep in my truck, tucked neatly away in the Pines, and then drive out the next morning with a beautiful sunrise in my rearview on my way back to P'town.. :)

Reactions: Pan and bobpbx

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Scott, are you going back to wild yeast this year? What are you using to sanitize? Star-san?

I sanitize my carboys by mixing up 5 gallons worth of Star-San, siphoning it into another carboy, syphoning it back again, and then once more. Overkill but i like running it through my siphon a few times. I do everything in glass so there's not really any scrubbing I need to do.

Reactions: RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Yes Ben, I played around with adding yeast for about 3 years and I was very disappointed with the flavor at the end. The guy that taught me how to make wine with the fresh juice never added it and he still doesn't. The only reason I went to yeast was because I had a bad year where my fermentation only lasted a few days and left me with a low alcohol wine, which is as worthless as t*ts on a bull. :)

I put the wine up on Saturday and my fermentation is rolling like a freight train at this point. Garage temps are staying above 70 degrees which is perfect. It hit 55 here overnight and I put a liquid filled radiator style heater out there last night. It doesn't really do much because my garage has no ceiling. It does warm the concrete blocks on which the demijohns sit a little bit.

For years, I cleaned with nothing but a high pressure hose nozzle and hot soapy water with Dawn. My buddy still does, but I have started using One Step as the final rinse. Gino's sells it and it's as cheap as dirt. It certainly can't hurt.

I am doing all Barbera again this year. We really like the bold flavor.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I started a batch of cider today in my fancy new conical fermenter. This'll be a small one - only two gallons. Got the cider from Battleview Orchards right by Monmouth Battlefield in Freehold, added a cup of sugar, and half a package of ale yeast. The kitchen looks like a science experiment which I guess it is.

IMG_2085.JPG

I also started a tincture with some cinnamon sticks, a vanilla bean, a few cloves, and some ginger that I'll be adding in later.