a gas station air pump found in the Pines

B

BarryC

Interesting story- Today while on a road trip for work, I and my co-worker (the mechanic at work) had to stop at Deltona Discount Tire, which is at what used to be the Cardiff Circle, in Pleasantville, or Egg Harbor Township. Outside of the shop there is an old air pump. You set the dial to the pressure that you want your tire pumped up to. Then you hook up the air hose to your tire valve and it pumps up till the bell stops ringing, when it reaches the pressure you set.

Anyway, the sign above it says something to the effect of: This air pump was found in the Pine Barrons (their mis-spelling) and restored in 1999 by a company in North Carolina. It was made in 1929, and so forth.

So I wonder exactly where in the Pine Barrens it was found. I didn't think to ask inside. I'm thinking, Was it at an old gas station or general store? Or was it found dumped somewhere in the woods, or what? Interesting, but a little strange. I wonder...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice story Barry! It would be interesting to know where it was found. Maybe it was from Heneckers gas station on 72.

I remember a few stations had those when I was a kid.

Guy

B

BarryC

Yeah, if you get the chance, check out the air pump and the sign above it. The pump is available for use 24 hours a day I think. I wish I knew where it was found, but didn't think to ask someone.
I bought tires there once, back around 1985 or so.
stizkidz said:
deltona tire is not 5 minutes from where i live. i used to work at the pep boys right up the street too...

KARL

Scout
Sep 7, 2003
BARNEGAT
Visit site
HI BARRY............INTERESTING STORY............YOU KNOW IN THOSE DAYS, THEY DIDNT CHARGE US POOR KIDS ANYTHING EITHER.............I COULDNT BELIEVE IT WHEN THEY STARTED CHARGING A QUARTER FOR AIR..........HECK,THE GAS STATIONS IN THOSE DAYS USED TO LOAN US TOOLS TO FIX OUR FLATS IF WE ASKED POLITELY ENOUGH..........CAN YOU IMAGINE ANY GAS STATION DOING THAT TODAY.................I SUSPECT THERE ARE FEW MODERN KIDS WHO EVEN KNOW HOW TO FIX A BICYCLE FLAT...........REMEMBER THOSE REPAIR KITS........SEARS USED TO SELL THEM FOR A BUCK.........PRESS ON, KARL