A Late Sunday Spung Hunt

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

A rare late afternoon and evening hike was in order for me, when I hooked up with bobpbx and we headed out for an almost 4 hour tenacious deep woods exploration. Our goal was to scope out some spungs that Bob had not visited before. Along with his dog Buddy we headed into the woods for the unknown.

Here is Bob and Buddy at our first stop. You can see that the resident animals have nothing to drink. Leatherleaf is encroaching and will eventually destroy this spung.

IMG_1155.JPG

Soon after I spotted a Hognose Snake which Bob quickly captured.

IMG_1156.JPG

A close up.

IMG_1158.JPG

You can see what we had to push through to get here.

IMG_1159.JPG

Hognose Snakes play dead to protect thmselves, and this one was no exception. Multiple times we turned him over and he died a thousand deaths :) He just kept turning over with his mouth open. Each time he would get little pebbles stuck on his tongue which he did not try to get off.

IMG_1162.JPG

I am so happy this photo turned out fairly well. This was for Bob the highlight of the outing. We discovered this little patch of woods where someone had cleared away to help the Broom Crowberry grow. Most likely it was the EPA. Broom Crowberry is one of the first plants to flower each year, and you can barely see the results of that when it occurs. A wonderful place that needs a revisit one day.

IMG_1163.JPG

The next spung was similar in the fact there was again no water. Native Americans would stop at these locations on their way to the shore. Today, the water table is lowering putting them at risk. This shows Bob checking out the plant life he has found.

IMG_1168.JPG

IMG_1170.JPG

Another great location we visited on our route was this pretty spot. Bob had picked this out from aerial photo's with his keen eye for spungs.

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

A hunter had been using this location to bait deer.

IMG_1175.JPG

I found his really nice deer stand and climbed it for this shot.

IMG_1177.JPG

Sliding plastic windows in this humble abode.

IMG_1179.JPG

And Bob again checking out the plant life.

IMG_1180.JPG

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Looks like you guys had a great day in the woods, were you exploring in Lacey Township ? Excellent photos.

Jim

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nice shots Guy. You are right, I love that little ridge of crowberry. Here it is again with two of my best friends hanging out:

watermark.php

Here is a shot of the little savanna all jazzed up:

watermark.php

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Good report Guy. Kuddos to the three of you for braving the summer bugs and sharing these photos. Its kinda scary to think that our pinelands, with the huge kirkwood-cohansey aquifer beneath it, is drying up. The obvious solution to this dilemma is to continue building houses, eh?

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
More wells will let the rainwater run down to the acquifer faster!

So, what is the real situation with the acquifer? It's not always easy to tell what's happening from the surface appearance of wetlands in any given season. Is the southern part of the state short on rain this year? We've been having a wet one up here so far.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Mark said:
It's not always easy to tell what's happening from the surface appearance of wetlands in any given season.

Good point, Mark. Hyrdology, I am told, can be a wacky thing. The Carolina Bays of the Southern Atlantic Coastal Plain (which are geomorphically akin to our South Jersey Spungs) exhibit unusual hydrological behaviour. I've read that some of these enclosed wetlands may be dry one year and wet the next, even if rainfall has been relatively invariable from year to year. There are alot of unknowns yet to be determined, but there certainly has been a strong correlation between the withdrawal of water via wells and a decline in the water table. We are removing the water at a faster rate than it is being replenished, and it is about time that the politicians of this State start taking this fact seriously.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
nice. brave men. I went out the other day for a quick walk to an area I bowhunt, knee boots and shorts, got chiggers in my boots, got chewed up real bad on my right ankle. the last spung looks like sworden pond (it is a spung but I do not know why they call it a pond.)