A little detective work

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Hi guys. I appeal for your assistance with a couple of non-piney related historical detective questions. I'm writing up a post for my blog on the Chester Branch of the CRNJ and the old Chester Furnace. I walked the old right of way on Sunday and visited the furnace site. I'm trying to identify the maker of these bricks.

Not a lot to go on, I know. The style of the two bricks is very different, but the maker appears to be the same. Some have the XX marking as in the first, some don't. Many about the site also have '8' on them. If it helps, the furnace was built around 1878 and torn down around 1891.

Lastly, a question for Mr. Teegate. What is this?

This is located on a steep bank alongside where the CRNJ Chester Branch crossed the south branch of the Raritan just East of Long Valley. Nothing but the bridge pillars remains today. I could not make out any markings on the metal plate.

Thanks for any insights!

RMICKLE

Scout
Oct 3, 2005
Carson City, NV
Lastly, a question for Mr. Teegate. What is this?

This is located on a steep bank alongside where the CRNJ Chester Branch crossed the south branch of the Raritan just East of Long Valley. Nothing but the bridge pillars remains today. I could not make out any markings on the metal plate.

Thanks for any insights!

That sounds like a right-of-way monument. That dimple or punch mark in the metal is most likely the point they were marking. Sometimes they punch an X to make it stand out.

Roy

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
That sounds like a right-of-way monument. That dimple or punch mark in the metal is most likely the point they were marking. Sometimes they punch an X to make it stand out.

Interesting! Thanks, Roy. So I might see more of these markers along that old right of way? I'll keep my eyes open for them.

Edit: I've identified the bricks. This is from a site with Woodbridge local history:

The Valentine Brothers Operated The M.D. Valentine Brick Company. Located At The End Of Where Pennval Road Now Is, The Valentine Brick Comany Manufactured Over 4,000,000 Bricks Per Day At It's Highest Point. The Valentine Brick Company Was Started In 1843. In The 1970's The Building Was Destroyed By A Massive Fire. The Building Is Now Owned By Intergraded Industries.

Interesting! Thanks, Roy. So I might see more of these markers along that old right of way? I'll keep my eyes open for them.

Edit: I've identified the bricks. This is from a site with Woodbridge local history:

The Valentine Brothers Operated The M.D. Valentine Brick Company. Located At The End Of Where Pennval Road Now Is, The Valentine Brick Comany Manufactured Over 4,000,000 Bricks Per Day At It's Highest Point. The Valentine Brick Company Was Started In 1843. In The 1970's The Building Was Destroyed By A Massive Fire. The Building Is Now Owned By Intergraded Industries.

Be careful here, my friend! While the Valentine family DID begin digging clay and burning brick in 1843, the firm of M.D. Valentine and Brothers did not start its operations until 1865. The company formally incorporated in 1892 with the New Jersey Secretary of State.

When the company first started production in 1865, they manufactured clay piping and bricks, but they soon moved into fire brick and refractory brick, using local Woodbridge clay they excavated themselves or purchased from other clay miners. The markings on the brick indicate the hardness rating, based on the level of firing and the correct cone used to determine the proper burning temperature.

A fascinating subject, to be sure!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Ok, so which part should I be careful of? :). The text was just copied from the site where I found it. Chester furnace went up around 1878, so that could work, could it not? The bricks are clearly marked "M.D. Valentine Woodbridge NJ" in one case, and ".. Valentine & B.." in the other.