A New Area

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I have not posted a report in a while so I figured I would start this now and add to it as the weeks go by. I am searching in a new area and hope to find quite a few property stones to add to my knowledge of the history of the pines. So after two weeks I have two to pass on. Actually, I found three, but one was out of the ground and I did not take a photo of it.

This one was the corner property of various individuals such as one John & Joe Corliss and William Newbold. I am not sure when it may have been placed there. I visited it last week.

IMG_0531.JPG

And this Jessica and I discovered today. It actually is quite large but does not project very high above the ground. it was the property corner for a John Cox and various other individuals and it may be from as far back as 9/27/1878. I suspect that it was.

IMG_0607.JPG

So more to come next week if all goes well.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looking over the info I have, it may be "William" Cox. It is hard to read.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
any idea if William Newbold is of any relation to Newbolds road in southampton?

I don't know that either. But if you remember I have mentioned Clayton Newbold who owned property in the Greenwood Forest and in the Cedar Bridge area back in the late 1700's and early 1800's. So the family may be from that area and the road may be named after them, but I just don't know. I wish I did.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I headed out with bobpbx and Buddy today for some stone searching and various other woods exploring, and here are a few things we came up with.

This stone and the next one are located near a really nice stream that rivals Cedar Creek. The property now is partially owned by the citizens of Ocean County.

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0617.JPG

This one is between two roads that run parallel with each other.

IMG_0625.JPG

Another one.

IMG_0627.JPG

And one made of cement on the edge of an interesting swamp.

IMG_0634.JPG

We also stumbled on this interesting blind.

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

And this ATV type vehicle we came upon on our route. One of about 20 we encountered. The place is loaded with them, with some of the riders not wearing helmets and doing wheelies to show off to us. Didn’t impress me much because some of them were just plain idiots and rude.

IMG_0637.JPG

And the usual trash.

IMG_0636.JPG

Guy

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Speaking of trash, last Sunday we were in the woods longer than usual, and came out on Quaker Bridge Rd. just as the afternoon was deepening into dusk. We passed a convoy of two pickups and another vehicle heading in. The lead pickup had a bunch of crap in the bed, and the last one had an old fridge roped in its bed.

Our thought at the time was they were headed out to dump the stuff, but we really don't know, obviously.

Question on the stones, Guy: the concrete one, and some others you've posted, obviously were placed by humans. But some just look like rocks sitting on the ground. How do you know which ones are markers? Is it primarily that they are historically supposed to be there, and the stone itself is otherwise out of place for the area?

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
All,

This one was the corner property of various individuals such as one John & Joe Corliss and William Newbold. I am not sure when it may have been placed there. I visited it last week.

And this Jessica and I discovered today. It actually is quite large but does not project very high above the ground. it was the property corner for a John Cox and various other individuals and it may be from as far back as 9/27/1878. I suspect that it was.

Guy

Guy,

I have a little bit of information on a Corliss family from the Waretown area. They owned cranberry bogs and various members were named Arthur, Eugene, Leroy, and Stogton. They probably own these bogs in the early 1900's.

Regarding the Cox family. They owned cranberry bogs in the Eagleswood/Tuckerton/West Creek area as far back as the 1870's and probably operated them well into the last century.

I didn't know if your stones were out in that area.

P.S. I love to here about the stones you find. Keep up the good work.

Rich

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy,

I have a little bit of information on a Corliss family from the Waretown area. They owned cranberry bogs and various members were named Arthur, Eugene, Leroy, and Stogton. They probably own these bogs in the early 1900's.

Regarding the Cox family. They owned cranberry bogs in the Eagleswood/Tuckerton/West Creek area as far back as the 1870's and probably operated them well into the last century.

I didn't know if your stones were out in that area.

P.S. I love to here about the stones you find. Keep up the good work.

Rich

Rich,

They were in that area. Thank you for the info.

And as for having interest in finding the stones, you still can contact me so we can go on our outing before the spring rolls around. We have a busy day if you are interested. Time is running out.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy,

I never thought to ask this before, but do you have a background in surveying? I find property markers and such fascinating, so I love these threads :)

No. I got help from Rednek, and taught myself the rest.

I am happy that you and other are enjoying them. I hope to have some interesting finds coming up in the next few weeks. That is if all goes well.

Guy

davensj

Explorer
Apr 8, 2004
The Real South Jersey
Years back i used to work for a surveyer, It was more fun then work. Researching the deeds, "A corner stone 12ft sw of the 12in.round oak tree (in 1905)" and today that same tree is 48in round....LOL