A new historical novel set in the NJ Pine Barrens - The Truth and the Life

emoo125

Greetings, folks,

I'm a new member here, and just wanted to introduce myself - my name is Beth Moore; I grew up in Indian Mills, NJ, about a mile down the road from the old general store there (now Indian Mills Pizza). It's nice to e-meet you all! I can't tell you how excited I am to find that this forum exists. I currently live in Boston, but still come home to camp at Goshen Pond from time to time, and to walk the sandy trails around Batsto and Carranza. I'm really looking forward to reconnecting here, and to learning more about my childhood home!

I also wanted to speak a little bit to a recent project of mine which I suspect might be of some interest to those who know and love the pines and its history. I'm a recently-published author of a new historical novel, The Truth and the Life, which was just released by NJ's own Alternative Book Press. The story largely takes place in a fictional, late-nineteenth century industrial town in the middle of the Pine Barrens--a paper-making settlement modeled after Harrisville. The paperback itself was just released, but it's also available in a Kindle Edition. You can find it on Amazon here.

I'd love to know if any other writers creating new work about the Pinelands are active on this forum, and would also love to read their work. I'm hoping that by being involved here I also can learn a bit more about any new work related to this area that might be coming out, in addition to talking about this amazing place that we all know and love so much.

Looking forward to getting to know you all! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben Ruset

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
Hi Beth,

I was wondering if you were aware of a novel written in 1949 by George Agnew Chamberlain entitled "Midnight Boy". It too took place in a fictional nineteenth century industrial town in the Pine-barrens. Also a paper-making settlement, this one however was modeled after Weymouth Iron/Paper Works in Atlantic County.

Reactions: emoo125

emoo125

Hi Tracker Jim - no, I actually had no idea this existed! How funny. Wonder if it was out of print and/or in the public domain before its current publisher, Literary Licensing, picked it up. I'm definitely going to have to give it a read. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: Tracker Jim

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
Hi Tracker Jim - no, I actually had no idea this existed! How funny. Wonder if it was out of print and/or in the public domain before its current publisher, Literary Licensing, picked it up. I'm definitely going to have to give it a read. Thanks for the tip!
Happy to have brought it to your attention. Good luck with your novel!

Reactions: emoo125