A PBX Hike, The Warren Grove Wildfire 6 Months Later

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
You had perfect weather on Saturday. Great pictures, thanks for posting them. Glad you had pictures of the Pine Barren Gentian. I had a chance to go out to the fire area on Friday (my day off) and saw some growing in the burned out area and was not sure of their name. I was amazed to see wild flowers (among other things) growing in the fire area.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thats true, you have to be logged in to open it up. I guess you use the board more from your email. I am always logged in.

It is not this site I am refering to since I am always logged in. I was refering to the site you posted the link for.

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
A good trip it was. Spungs and streams; swamps and savannahs; hills and valleys. We saw the Pines in all of its diversity Saturday. I had rated the trip a 7.5, but in retrospect I think I'd rate it an 8.5. Can I change my vote, Bob? :)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/cookie.jpg

All I can say is that since I am accepting cookies, and you have to in order to stay logged in on this site, that you either have to be logged in there, or it will not work with Safari. I suspect you are logged in and that is why it works for you. I may be wrong.

Guy

Weird. I got there tonite by going to the first link, then "recent publications", then chose the first link about spungs and I was able to get in.......

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Weird. I got there tonite by going to the first link, then "recent publications", then chose the first link about spungs and I was able to get in.......

I can get into the Recent Publications, but all of the links on that page are not links. They look like links, but they are not. It is one big image. I tried it in Safari and Firefox.

Maybe others can try. Here is the Recent Publications link. Do any of the links in the middle of the page work?

http://copland.udel.edu/~mdemitrf/index_files/Page390.htm

Guy

All the photos were great - I wish I could have gone! I did go out to 539 the day after the fire. For comparison, here's what the area looked on May 17th.

fire.jpg

Here's a a pinecone opened up by the heat of the fire. If you look closely, you'll see a seed that hasn't yet fallen out.

redcone.jpg

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
What a great hike! All the while I think we were constantly reminded of how difficult the hike would have been if not for the fire. Here are some photos:

watermark.php

watermark.php

One can't help but to ask themselves, "what's over the hill" when looking at a road like this

watermark.php

watermark.php

Guy got a little tired and wanted to drive the rest of the way but Stu insisted on hiking.
watermark.php

As we were washing up in the beautiful and remote Mill Creek. I noticed a very large (41/2") crayfish. An unusual sight in the pine barrens. An attempt by Bob to catch it was unsuccessful but at least I had another witness. What a remarkable creek, definitely worth another visit.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Jeff

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Nice report guys. Guy, you have seem to mastered finding those rough green tree snakes. The last time I found one was when I was about 10 in haddonfield. The snake skin looks to be pine snake which would make sense given the area.

Jeff, I'm somewhat suprised by the crayfish. I never think of crayfish being around the pines, but ever time I see otter scat it has crayfish remains in it. Also I know someone that says he sees crayfish all the time in the pines. Are they uncommon?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice report guys. Guy, you have seem to mastered finding those rough green tree snakes. The last time I found one was when I was about 10 in haddonfield. The snake skin looks to be pine snake which would make sense given the area.

Jeff, I'm somewhat suprised by the crayfish. I never think of crayfish being around the pines, but ever time I see otter scat it has crayfish remains in it. Also I know someone that says he sees crayfish all the time in the pines. Are they uncommon?

Considering how much time I have spent fishing in the pinebarrens without seeing one, I would say they are. However, I mostly fish waters far less clear than this creek. On the other hand, I have taking inventory of streams with a siene during droughts and have not come up with a crayfish. This one was so big it looked like a small lobster.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, you have seem to mastered finding those rough green tree snakes.

I did not find it. I was at the back and when I arrived Bob was giving it to Jessica. I have only found one myself, even the last one I posted was found by Bob.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Great photo's Jeff! I was hoping to see my new vehicle :) A real hot rod!

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All the photos were great - I wish I could have gone! I did go out to 539 the day after the fire. For comparison, here's what the area looked on May 17th.

You could have gone. Bob asked anyone if they wanted to go.

Nice cone photo. One of the best I have viewed.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Looks like you all had a great time and a great outing, albeit dirty, but that's part of it isn't it. Great pics. I did not pass your parking location til 6:00 p.m., i was tied up in Tuckerton.

Jim

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Oh then Bob is good at finding them.

Jeff, I looked in my pine barrens field guide by Boyd. It states that crayfish are common throughout the pines. I've never seen one, but was told if you go out at night with a flashlight and look in streams you can see many.