A PBX Hike, The Warren Grove Wildfire 6 Months Later

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Oh then Bob is good at finding them.

Jeff, I looked in my pine barrens field guide by Boyd. It states that crayfish are common throughout the pines. I've never seen one, but was told if you go out at night with a flashlight and look in streams you can see many.

I have that field guide as well. It is great isn't it. I have worn out my copy. I've spoken with Howard Boyd on a few occasions and he is the real deal.

Anyway, that is interesting information. I'll have to look up a good crayfish receipe.:v:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have that field guide as well. It is great isn't it. I have worn out my copy. I've spoken with Howard Boyd on a few occasions and he is the real deal.

He is having his problems hearing anymore. I had to write down my name on paper before he would sign my book. He could not understand my name.

He said he has a new book coming out in the future.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
For those interested in learning more about how spungs were formed, Mark Demitroff is giving a talk in November. Here is the information he gave me. I highly recommend it. I saw the one at the short course and it was really interesting:

The Gloucester County Nature Club invited me to speak at their November 8, 2007 meeting. The program, Pine Barrens Wetlands: Geographical Reflections of South Jersey's Periglacial Past, will be similar to the talk given at the Pinelands Short Course should anyone wish to learn more about spungs, cripples, blue holes, and savannahs. All GCNC meetings and field trips are free and open to the public. Interested persons are always welcome to attend.

www.gcnatureclub.org

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Wow, looks like you guys had a great day. It reminds me so much of the Westhampton Pine plains here on Long Island, I see lots of stunted pitch pines. Thanks so much for the great photos!
How did you guys do with the ticks and chiggers?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I got chigged a bit on my left ankle. Everyone else?

I have two on my left arm, and a few on the right side of my belly. Well worth it for what I got out of the day.

BTW Gabe, nice job hiking. And I was jealous of your Lasagna. Really!

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Thanks, Guy. I had a cold, so it was a bit tough going, but I had a great time nonetheless. I can bring some lasagna for you next time if you want. :)

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
For those interested in learning more about how spungs were formed, Mark Demitroff is giving a talk in November. Here is the information he gave me. I highly recommend it. I saw the one at the short course and it was really interesting:

The Gloucester County Nature Club invited me to speak at their November 8, 2007 meeting. The program, Pine Barrens Wetlands: Geographical Reflections of South Jersey's Periglacial Past, will be similar to the talk given at the Pinelands Short Course should anyone wish to learn more about spungs, cripples, blue holes, and savannahs. All GCNC meetings and field trips are free and open to the public. Interested persons are always welcome to attend.

www.gcnatureclub.org

Awesome, thanks so much for alerting us to this. :)

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Two weak chigger bites. I might have gotten them after the hike though. It is pretty amazing that we did about 7 miles in thick woods with few bites and I went 15' into the woods behind my house and had 200-400 on me. Go figure.No bites from them though, due to permithrin, fast reflexes, and a hot shower.

Jeff

I was in my mom's overgrown back yard today, and got 20 or 30 bites, my second bout with 'em in 2 weeks. The VERY BEST cure for "the itch" is CHIGARID. It's got camphor, phenol,, menthol, collodion (the liquid bandaid) and eucalyptus oil. Costs about $3; I found it in a pharmacy. Instant relief - I promise!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was in my mom's overgrown back yard today, and got 20 or 30 bites, my second bout with 'em in 2 weeks. The VERY BEST cure for "the itch" is CHIGARID. It's got camphor, phenol,, menthol, collodion (the liquid bandaid) and eucalyptus oil. Costs about $3; I found it in a pharmacy. Instant relief - I promise!

Here is another relieving thing to do for those that get really hot and itchy. I do this at work or while I'm trying to sleep and I have one or two that refuse the stop itching. Get an ice pack and hold it on the bite for 5-10 minutes. It takes away the itch for a long, long time.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Good to know. Mr. Gremlin is usually sleepless and miserable for a week after a day in the pines because of chigger bites. (he's a delicate flower). We'll give that one a try. Thanks for the tip.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
guy
that fourth pic down od jess sitting on the old deer stand,we found thaqt too.you must have passed from the big medder to that one on much the same route we did.you had to of passed real close to the antique in question.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea, we were on the same route. It is a nice area.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I am reviving this old PBX trip report because I felt that Bob and the other PBX members, along with the rest of you, may want to see this fantastic painting that our very own "Turtle" recently finished. It is painted from a photo I took of bobpbx in a very nice spung that was on our route during this trip. I want to thank Turtle for passing along a copy to me, and allowing me to post it here for all to see.

My photo

IMG_0059.JPG

Turtles painting

PBXWG.jpg

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Terry,

I have tears in my eyes. I am speechless. The painting is the first thing I saw when I opened this thread. What a wonderful surprise! You are very talented....of course I am biased!

I was actually going to discuss this spung with Mark (Spung Man). I Christened it "Marble Spung" as it is almost perfectly round. It is far out in the plains, and has a wonderful diversity in plant life. I found Rhynchospora nitens here, which is very rare in the pine barrens. I also found Juncus arbovitus, which is an archaic name, but I like it, and since it matches what I found, I used it on my speciman.

Thank you very much. I am honored.