A recent trip to the Pine Barrens

mjshevlin

Jun 25, 2010
Middlesex, NJ
www.euonym.us
Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a while, and I figured it was time to share a little. I'm an orchid enthusiast and photographer (on the weekends, anyway), and I try to make it down into the area several times a year. We had some relatives visiting this past week, and took them on a little trip to show them a part of NJ that wasn't ten or twelve lanes of traffic wide.

Rose pogonia (Pogonia ophiopglossoides)

Thread-leaved sundew (Drosera filiformis)

Orange milkwort (Polygala lutea)

Bog asphodel (Narthecium americanum)

Common grass pink (Calopogon tuberosus)

Wetlands

I've seen both Pogonia and Calopogon a few times before, though I still get as excited as a kid on Christmas day to find them. For me though, the best part were the bog asphodel, as I hadn't ever seen those before, and there were hundreds (at least!) of them in one of the wetlands areas we visited.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice! You have to get down here more often.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see you have a Canon EOS 5D Mark II. The price is a little steep for me. Do you use a filter? Do your mind telling what kind?

Guy

mjshevlin

Jun 25, 2010
Middlesex, NJ
www.euonym.us
I see you have a Canon EOS 5D Mark II. The price is a little steep for me. Do you use a filter? Do your mind telling what kind?

Guy

All the closeups are shot with the EF 180mm f/3.5L macro lens, nothing on the front but the lens hood. It's a bit spendy and a bit heavy to haul with the 5DII around on top of a tripod, but it's a real dream for macrophotography. I haven't even had them a year and I've already taken 4000 exposures with them.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Welcome to the forum. Nice photos! The last photo looks very familar to me. Of course, we have a tremendous amount of wetlands. Let me just ask, was that last photo taken near route 532?

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have a 9MP and his camera is a 21MP, and we both used the automatic setting. So I found a photo I had of a flower that had the same amount of lighting on it and compared the information on each. It is interesting the differences. You may have to click on the photo to enlarge it.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/06272010/compare.jpg

I always felt my camera did not show the proper colors and unless he doctored his the colors are much nicer. That is why I asked about a filter.

Guy

mjshevlin

Jun 25, 2010
Middlesex, NJ
www.euonym.us
I have a 9MP and his camera is a 21MP, and we both used the automatic setting. So I found a photo I had of a flower that had the same amount of lighting on it and compared the information on each. It is interesting the differences. You may have to click on the photo to enlarge it.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/06272010/compare.jpg

I always felt my camera did not show the proper colors and unless he doctored his the colors are much nicer. That is why I asked about a filter.

Guy

Part of it might be a difference in the auto white balance; the 5DmkII does a much, much better job of reproducing colors than my old Nikon Coolpix 5700 did. I used to get markedly brown or blue images from the old camera.

Another possibility is that I've been shooting raw images (rather than jpeg), and the conversion process tends to give nice, saturated images. Sometimes I'll bump saturation if I start with a really underexposed picture (otherwise it turns out a little grey), but I don't generally fiddle with the color.

I'm leaning toward the first possibility, though, as the jpegs the camera produces are very similar to what I get after conversion from raw data, save with much less latitude for underexposed or overexposed areas. The downside of it all is that it takes a lot longer to edit each image. I've got another lot of pictures from a trip last Sunday to the Franklin Parker Preserve, but they're taking time to crunch.

mjshevlin

Jun 25, 2010
Middlesex, NJ
www.euonym.us
How about a small paragraph on how you do that MJ? I've always wondered.

On the hardware side of things, you need to get your camera to shoot raw images. Most of the time, you can fiddle around in the menu to get it to do that. I have mine store both raw and jpeg, as the latter are a lot easier to browse when I'm home to find the best shots. You'll need a big memory card, as raw files are considerably larger than jpeg. That's the easy part.

On the software side of things, you need need something that can read raw data files, and hopefully that software interfaces with your favorite image editor. You can do this with Photoshop, but I've never used it. I use GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) as my image editor, with the UFRAW plugin (http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/index.html) for reading the raw files. Both pieces of software are free, and very powerful.

The UFRAW page has a tutorial in the user guide; I recommend just flipping through the different tabs and playing around with things and seeing what they do.

What I normally do is alter the base curve and/or the exposure in order to end up with a nicely exposed image. This is what the software uses to convert the raw image data (in my case, 14 bits per color) to something the computer can display (8 bits per color). I do this both by eye and by watching the histogram. For a lot of shots (like people, landscapes, etc), that means the histogram will look more or less like a bell-shaped curve that fills the whole range, with an average value that's about 50% brightness. For flower shots, you tend to end up with a curve with a couple peaks, one due to the inevitably blurry background, and one due to the large color patches of the flower. Same idea, though, but be careful not to blow out your flowers by forcing the average brightness to 50%; the background is frequently darker than that. Tweaking the shape of the base curve a little can really change the amount of contrast between the subject and the background and that's how these pictures really pop. The camera does the same thing when it writes a jpeg file, but it uses automatic algorithms based on various menu settings (like brightness, contrast, etc).

If you start with a really underexposed (dark) image and brighten it, you will end up with more noise (though far less than if you tried to do the same with a jpeg). UFRAW has a denoising option, and it works much better removing noise during raw conversion than trying to do it after the fact. A setting of 20 or 30 is normally plenty for me for an image that you've had to punch up a stop or two to get proper brightness. I'm fortunate to have a full frame DSLR with an enormous (and consequently low-noise) image sensor; you might need a little more denoising for cameras with smaller sensors, but be careful not to eat your fine details.

There's an option for increasing color saturation during raw conversion, and it seems to have different effects on colors than increasing saturation after the fact in the image editor. If I've increased the brightness quite a bit, the image ends up a little grey, and bumping the saturation to 1.1 or 1.2 brings the life back into the picture.

You can also adjust white balance during raw image conversion (again, the camera does this automatically when it writes a jpeg), but it's something I haven't really played around with since the 5DmkII seems to auto white balance very well.

At this point, I import the image from UFRAW into the GIMP.

The last thing I do is to apply a little sharpening (this is done in the GIMP, everything previous was done with the UFRAW plugin) with the unsharp mask to restore the sharpness that's lost due to the camera's antialiasing filter. For my 21 MP images, I normally use a radius of 15-20 and strength of 0.15-0.25. Even on a fast computer, this takes a little while. As before, the camera does this automatically when writing jpegs, but you have to do it by hand when using the raw images.

I also use the image editor to resize pictures; I scale mine to exactly 20% of full size so I don't have any interpolation artifacts; that's why they're that odd 1123 x 748 size, but it's a good size to put on my web site.

I just realized I didn't set up a signature for posts yet; I'm Mike.

mjshevlin

Jun 25, 2010
Middlesex, NJ
www.euonym.us
Here's a few more pictures, from a trip to the Franklin Parker Preserve last Sunday:

Lance-leaved rose gentian (Sabatia difformis)

Common water lily (Nymphaea odorata)

Cross-leaved milkwort (Polygala cruciata)

Coastal false asphodel (Tofieldia racemosa)

Red milkweed (Asclepias rubra)

Rose pogonia (Pogonia ophiopglossoides)

Northern pine snake (Pituophis melanoleucus melanoleucus)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks for the explanation Mike. I appreciate the time you took to lay that out.

Regarding the false asphodel, that was in the Parker Preserve? I'm surprised to hear that (but also delighted). I found some A. rubra last year in a damp spot in the pine plains. Very cool finding that.

Also, great photos, especially the milkwort. That is really hard to get detail while also showing the entire inflorescence. But your technique and camera picked it up nicely.

mjshevlin

Jun 25, 2010
Middlesex, NJ
www.euonym.us
nice snake.about how long was it?
Al

I'd say it was right around four feet long. I was walking along a sand road in an open area, and it was heading the same way just off the road. I had my long macro lens on the camera and didn't have enough time to try to backpedal to get the whole critter in the frame before it got to the bushes it was heading for.

mjshevlin

Jun 25, 2010
Middlesex, NJ
www.euonym.us
Regarding the false asphodel, that was in the Parker Preserve? I'm surprised to hear that (but also delighted). I found some A. rubra last year in a damp spot in the pine plains. Very cool finding that.

The irony of that entire trip was that I was bummed out for half a week afterward because I didn't find what I set out there to look for (Cleistes divaricata), and I had to head home before I'd looked at even half the areas I'd planned on because the combination of exertion and heat was tearing me up and my tripod lost a screw. It wasn't until I'd edited the pictures and started trying to identify things that I realized that I'd found something rare. Fortunately, I always shoot flowers I don't recognize.

Also, great photos, especially the milkwort. That is really hard to get detail while also showing the entire inflorescence. But your technique and camera picked it up nicely.

Thanks. When I'm shooting something, I try to bracket both exposure and aperture, so I have different depths-of-field and a better chance of getting a good shot. There's also an art to getting the flower parallel to the plane of the image sensor so most of it is in that narrow DOF that you get when shooting things up close. I'm still working on that one, though, because half the time it entails getting really close to the ground, and that's not so pleasant when you're already up to your knees in sloppy stuff.

mjshevlin

Jun 25, 2010
Middlesex, NJ
www.euonym.us
You must have gotten a tip on that one. I've not seen it yet. Very rare.

Got the tip from Google. It turned up this: http://www.bgci.org/usa/news/0192/ I spent a few evenings a while back Googling various orchids in New Jersey. I keep the results in a spreadsheet and use it to plan my hikes. Once I start to get a feel for what a particular plant's habitat looks like, then I'll start to pick other places that are likely to have them. Google topographic maps and satellite imagery help to look for interesting spots within a given area, and then I'll make notes and stick them in my GPS. The approach has worked pretty well for me so far; I've found fifteen species since I moved here in 2006.