A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME....................

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
I agree. I am thankful to Brendan Byrne for his efforts to create the Reserve and protect the Pine Barrens, but this tract was named for a historic village that once existed there, not some arbitrarily assigned name that had no signifigance. Oh well, I guess the old guy earned it!

westyvw

Dec 31, 1969
I hope Byrne can convince McGreevey to make the right choices when he fills those empty seats on the Pinelands Commission.

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
Where did all this come from? What in the world are you talking about? I can guess at some of it, but I feel like I've jumped into the middle of a conversation. Where's the beginning? This string seems to have come from nowhere. :)
Barry

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
One can only assume there is going to be a name change in one of the state forests.

Guy

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
That's right, Guy. They are talking about the new name for Lebanon State Forest. I don't like name changes myself. What would happen if someone from outside the area who didn't learn of the name change looks for Lebanon State Forest from an old, or fairly recent, map, is trying to find this place? I don't know why King James MacGreedy did this. There must be some more sensible way to honor the guy who saved the Pine Barrens for us to enjoy. After all, Lebanon is only a small part of the Pine Barrens. Sounds arbitrary to me. But of course, being arbitrary is part of a liberal democrat's makeup. Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. I will make sure I know all that is involved in that idea and never vote for them.

Trivia.... Who was governor when the beach and park at Atsion lake was built? I remember plenty of opposition to it in the papers. Even a claim that a cemetery was dug up and destroyed. Make sure you phrase you answer in the form of a question....... Who was ......

Guy

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
I don't have an answer, since I'm originally a North Jersey-ite (pre-1985).
I do know that there is a tiny cemetery in the East Picnic area there. It's known as the Catholic Cemetery. I've got some pictures of it. I think there are 2 tombstones left in it.
Barry

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was the "Honorable" Brendan T. Byrne and he made sure that "Honorable" was written on a sign at Atsion lake during construction.

State of New Jersey
Honorable Brendon T. Byrne, Governor
Atsion Lake-Day Use Area
Wharton State Forrest

Guy

Z

ZippySLC

They can rename forests yet they can't get an automated toll collection system to pay for itself???

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
A Rose by any other name smells just as sweet. But for some bureaucrats and politicians to do things efficiently is quite another manner. This amounts to symbolism over substance.

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
Yeah and I wonder what it cost us taxpayers for the state to re-name a state forest?? How dumb is that? This is going to cause so much confusion too.
I don't think any place like that should be named after a person, unless maybe that person personally helped created that place, or helped save it from destruction or something. And then why wait 20 years?
Politicians will always be politicians.