A Sad Sight

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I was out in the Speedwell side of the Parker Preserve early this morning, taking some pictures along the Wading. It was a great morning, the only detraction being clouds of mosquitoes and the green haze of pollen in the air. After that I made one more stop; I pulled into the parking lot at Oswego and immediately saw this:

A7405610.jpg

A7405607.jpg

A7405608.jpg

A7405609.jpg

It's truly unbelievable that there are people out there that will do this to the most beautiful areas of their state.

I reported it to NJDEP using the Warn DEP app, hopefully that does something. I would have stayed and gathered it all up myself if I didn't need to head out for work.

SpineyPiney

Scout
Jan 15, 2013
I refuse to go to Oswego anymore to hang out unless we’re paddling away from the picnic area. Same scene over and over again there. Think I’ve only been once since ‘16 or ‘17. Final straw for me, I was there with my two oldest kids and there were several couples together with lots of kids picnicking, drinking and at one point loudly and proudly talking about crushing and snorting various pills. When they were done they literally just grabbed their coolers and stuff and left everything on and around the table like they were leaving a restaurant after a meal. It was a situation that left me seething. I regretted not saying anything but was hesitant because I was alone with a 5 and 3 year old and was only us and them out there. I knew anything I said wasn’t going to come out politely and they didn’t seem like they’d be too receptive to what I had to say, so I kept quiet but it’s bothered me ever since. Not sure if anything ever came of it but I did call it in when I got home.

Reactions: TommyP and bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I refuse to go to Oswego anymore to hang out unless we’re paddling away from the picnic area. Same scene over and over again there. Think I’ve only been once since ‘16 or ‘17. Final straw for me, I was there with my two oldest kids and there were several couples together with lots of kids picnicking, drinking and at one point loudly and proudly talking about crushing and snorting various pills. When they were done they literally just grabbed their coolers and stuff and left everything on and around the table like they were leaving a restaurant after a meal. It was a situation that left me seething. I regretted not saying anything but was hesitant because I was alone with a 5 and 3 year old and was only us and them out there. I knew anything I said wasn’t going to come out politely and they didn’t seem like they’d be too receptive to what I had to say, so I kept quiet but it’s bothered me ever since. Not sure if anything ever came of it but I did call it in when I got home.
The pandemic caused people who never knew it was there to find it, to use it, to abuse it.

SpineyPiney

Scout
Jan 15, 2013
The pandemic caused people who never knew it was there to find it, to use it, to abuse it.
I agree with you there but it’s also been that way since I discovered Oswego in the mid 90’s. When they still had the trash barrel there it was always overflowing and piled deep with junk around it.

Reactions: bobpbx