A TASTE OF NJ's HISTORY

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks! It took me quite a while to read through the list. I saw a few from the pines area.

Guy

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
I didn't get to scroll through its entirety, but what a great list there is so far! Will definitely save this. Thanks for sharing!!

noelle

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
When I was in High School at Pemberton, it was a big deal to skip school and hitchhike to Mount Holly. I have no idea why. I did it too. There really is a mount there.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Ha! Bridgeton has not changed in 100 years. That is a strange little town I think.

frog.jpg

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
That's an amazing archive. I found pictures of a tennis court in Mt. Tabor that my kids used to play on, and one of the railroad station in Long Valley ca. 1908. And I have only looked at a small portion of what's there. It's too bad they chose to watermark them right smack in the middle of the picture, but still it's great stuff. Thanks for sharing the link.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Thanx for posting this. There are a lot great photos on this site. Although many are from northern Jersey, there are a few from the pineland area.

For the last week or so, I've been trying to find some of the local ones (for me). I managed to find a few, and taking a page from the "Then and Now" gallery of Mr. Thompson, here are the results:

First Methodist Church, Hammonton (1908)
Hamm_Methodist_Church_.jpg

Hammonton RR Station/looking east (1907)
Hamm_RR_Station_E_.jpg

Hammonton RR Station/looking west (1915)
Hamm_RR_Station_W_.jpg

White Horse Pike at Hammonton Lake (1940's)
Hamm_Lake.jpg

American Hotel, Mays Landing (1923)
Amer_Hotel_1.jpg

Hopefully, more to come!

John-

Pine Baron:

You did a great job assembling your “Then and Now” sets of images! I find post cards a wonderful visual way to enjoy local history; the variety of images are endless! I have been collecting post cards for over 35 years and I never grow tired of looking through other collections or even a dealer’s stock as I invariably find views I do not have myself! Just like books, you can never have too many post cards!!

Keep up the good work!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Nice work, Pine Baron. I'm curious about the then-and-now of the American Hotel. Could the ground floor have changed that much, or did the artist take liberties? Did they get rid of that side door and double the number of windows in that wall?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well done! I was impressed when you told me the system you used to make them. A true Mac user for sure. Keep them coming!

Guy

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
All-

Thanx for viewing.

I was intrigued by these old postcards also, Jerseyman. They provide a good feeling for the way things were at the time they were printed. I really enjoyed tracking some down to see how they weathered the passing of time, and trying to capture the same angles. Their surroundings certainly have changed quite a bit, like the missing mansion Devilstoy mentioned.

Mark, I didn't go into the hotel, so I don't know the floorplan. It wouldn't be too difficult open a hole for a window or convert the door into one. If you notice, half of the wrap-around porch was removed as well as many of the columns. There also seems to be some sort of breezeway or something on the other side that is no longer there. The entire top part of the spire on the M E Church in Hammonton has been changed some time in the last 100 years! I'm not sure artistic license grants that much latitude. :)

There's only a handful of images left from the actual pine barrens that I'm working on now. I'll post them soon.

John-

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
On the western border

Williamstown is just barely in the pines, on the western side, so I thought I'd add these. The glass company building was fairly easy to spot in the middle of town. There apparently have been some renovations over the years. Even the meat market was extended towards the corner, and a second story was added. Unfortunately, the RR station was torn down some years ago. It stood where the current fire hall is now, which was built in 1975. This sign is in front of the building, on Virginia Ave. Note the same postcard picture.

Williamstown Glass Co (1910)

Williamstown RR Station (1910s)

John-

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
The Outskirts

Took a ride to the "big city" for a change of pace. The first pic is of the Mt Holly RR Station. It has been restored, and is now a Jamaican/American restaurant. In the postcard, the rails heading east, past the water tower, have been removed and the grade is now a rail-trail.

Mt_Holly_RR_Sta.jpg

The Mill St. house of Stephen Girard from 1776-79 (the sign in front says 1777-78). He was to become a prominent Philadelphia banker and financier.
1905 Girard House
Girard_House.jpg

The corner of Mill St & High St, called Fountain Square. Note the black fountain in front of the large brick building in the current photo, behind the double street sign. The perspective of the two shots is different. The intersection/street seems to be wider now. The buildings on the right(south) are much older than the ones on the left. I'm guessing the northern buildings were removed when the street was widened. It's a shame, because the large white building looks like an old hotel of sorts.
Mill_St_Mt_Holly.jpg

Replica of Fountain Square in front of the Mt Holly Center building.
Statue.jpg

(This plaque is larger in my gallery)

John-