A visit to Atsion Manor

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
My friend Joe and I decided to take a ride in the Pine Barrens on Sunday. We first decided to take the tour of Atsion Mansion. We were very impressed with the way the tour was run as well as the informative tour guides. They said that each time they do the tour they are shown something new or see something new. This tour I found the black lines on the Quaker Bridge side of the porch that had not been seen by the tour guide before and also noticed an etching into the wall above the main staircase that was most likely graffiti they covered with paint. When we first entered they showed us recently discovered artifacts from the reconstruction of the dam at Atison and old pictures of the mansion. They had mentioned Bud Wilson had been there and given them information on the mansion as well as other people who had been waiting to take the tour inside for some time. It was a small group so any and all questions could be asked. The sashes of paint left to see what the pre-restoration paint looked like was a really great idea. The very detailed trim work was very impressive to me as well. And of course we were not allowed to photograph anything inside.
While waiting for the tour to begin we wondered around near the barn and the wooden structure near it. Here are some pictures and questions….

Why are there lights on top of the wood building?

Has the boat been in there since the barn had a roof? The tour guide said the barn was a much newer construction than the mansion itself.

Is that farm equipment piece from when they were trying new crops out in the area?

Thanks for reading
Kevin

mansion1.jpg

barn.jpg

farm.jpg

trough.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They have a few booklets for sale in the store there showing him with the Peanut crops.

Guy