Abandoned building on 206

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
I know this isn't exactly within the Pine Barrens, though it's close (closer than Burlington Island :) )... and I figured somebody might know the history of this place.

North of 537 along 206 but south of Columbus at Jobstown-Jacksonville Rd there’s a very old building that sits on the corner across from the Wawa. It has an interesting look to it, a lot of character, and now that it's about to be torn down... I was wondering if anybody knew something about it. The only thing I can remember about it is that years ago when I was little, the "ghost sign" on it, (still barely visible in the upper left) said it had been a grain store... I'm not sure on that though. Anyway, here are some pictures of it... I went by it today and saw earthmovers ripping up the field behind it, and construction fence around it so it probably only has a few days till its torn down. Same goes for an old dilapidated Farmhouse, also on the parcel of land which is currently being developed. Both show clearly at least back to the 1950s, though 1931 is hard to determine with the low res. Unfortunately from the nature of the construction, that whole field is about to become a field of houses... along with the field behind the Wawa.

3440836836_b86cdd96f3.jpg

(earlier today 4/13/09)

3396257742_12fa1a5244.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22516573@N07/3396257742/
(A week ago)

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
That is an interesting structure and I seem to remember it still being open as a farm supply maybe more than twenty years ago.
I went by there Saturday on my way to Mills HD and they had already statrted chipping away at the farmhouse. The farmhouse has a lot of chahrcter too.

At least the end result is not going to be a housing development as it would have been until Burlington County acquired it from a developmnt company.
It will be the site of the 400 acre Burlington County Fairgrounds.

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
That's not going to be a housing development. That's the new site of the Burlington County Farm Fair, which outgrew the Lumberton Village Green quite some time ago.

*Sorry, Rednek, I'm still bleary-eyed this morning and didn't catch the end of your post.*

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Wow. I worked in New Egypt back in the late 80s and lived in Bordentown. My then significant other lived in Mt Holly and I would pass that barn every day. It was much less dilapidated then, and may have even been in use. As I reacall, there was farm equipment and an office in there. I think that whole parcel was a sod farm.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Wawa...?

I recall a mention last year that the Wawa wanted to "Supersize" directlly across the street from where it is now....I don't know whatever happened to that proposal....
Glad to hear the fairgrounds will be located there as opposed to McMansion City.....or God forbid, another shopping "venue". I wonder if the parking will be recycled crushed something in favor of asphalt.....that's a large parking area they will need.

Is this Mansfield Township?

turtle

jerzee

Apr 14, 2009
If you look very hard at the building you can still see the name "greenberg" on the front. The Greenbergs are dairy farmers that have or had dairy farms from Mansfield to Pemberton. I grew up in that area and it has always been abandoned. But it was used to store feed, and load dairy cows into trucks note: the loading dock height doors. I believe the name across the front was Israel, Greenberg & Son Dairy cows. But it definately said "Greenberg"

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
The land was a dairy operation before it was a sod farm. I think the Greenbergs still have a place in Pemberton--there were only four dairy farmers left in the county, last I heard, but there's still a Jacob Greenberg & Son sign on North Pemberton Road.

The building wasn't an Agway, but it was a feed store for a while, according to a knowledgeable source.

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Thanks for your help everybody, it's appreciated. I'm glad to hear it won't become a housing development, as so much land has already become around there. Also thanks for the insight into what it was, it'll be sad to see it go, though its time has passed.

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
About the old farmhouse... does anybody know anything about that too? I was by there on Sunday and got a few shots, which had me wondering just how old it might be. There is a "sister" house with the quad-chimney design down 206 a ways between Juliustown and N. Pemberton Rd too. I seem to remember there being a third on 206 as well, but it was torn down.

This person on Flickr captured the house very well:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26681126@N07/3461762405

This was a shot I took on Sunday, not on Flickr yet:
picture.php

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
I remember that house. A guy named Herman lived there. His last name was Bunster, or Munster, something like that.

Haha Bob, although I wouldn't be surprised. It's a classic "spooky" looking house, especially when you apply some effects in Photoshop.

Oij, I agree... but from the looks of these buildings, they're most likely too far gone. Another old building I recently saw come down was up on US-130 by Hamilton Marketplace just below I-195. I did some research into that one too, and found it dated back to atleast 1930. A few weeks ago I was by there and saw it had been taken down, leaving just an empty lot, and a tree, with no further use. It would have been nice to see something done with that one too... especially since it dated to a much simpler time in Central NJ.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
That first Building was still used up til about 10 years ago ,they used to store hay in it , now If my source is correct it is now owned by the organization that puts on the lumberton fair ,er go all the excavation going on there.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I do clearly remember that building from the time we lived in Hampton Lakes in the early 60's, when we used to drive up past Malachicks(sp?) Teepee on the way to my Aunts. I always have this mental picture of a guy leaning up against the wall by the door with his left boot against the wall, with a cowboy hat on. I'm pretty sure I saw that one day at that building back then.