Abandoned guinea pig at Carranza

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We finally got out for a walk at Carranza at 1 PM today. Right before the first entrance to the lot we saw this little guy abandoned in the snow. It was scared and wouldn't leave it's shavings. We got it home in spite of having a terrier and Great Dane in the Wrangler. It is eating and drinking. Would anyone like it? It's difficult with a Jack Russell terrier in the house.

P1010691s.JPG

P1010700s.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well done Ed! You are my hero. I hope you find a good home for it.

Guy

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
If you can hang on to it until Monday after New Years, I will take it.

I don't have a cage or anything and will need to pick up all that stuff first.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I guess we can only assume it was an un-welcome Christmas present that was taken to the woods by someone in the household. I guess that's better than some of the other options that some people would perform, but I feel bad for the animal. I'm not sure it's equipped to handle those conditions.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I guess we can only assume it was an un-welcome Christmas present that was taken to the woods by someone in the household.

I suspect you are correct, and the blame might also go to the person who gave the gift without asking the person who was receiving it if they would be interested.

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
A Christmas rescue. The pet would not have survived long. Mixed anger (but I'll avoid a rant) and happiness here. You done good, Ed. Thanks for sharing this.

Merry Christmas
Bill

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Thank you all for your concern and support. Miss Piggy, yes it's a girl, is doing very well and seems no worse for her ordeal. She has a good appetite and likes carrots, lettus, timothy hay, oranges, dog kibble but not tomatoes.
She is easy to handle and is quite at home, and to our delight, sings a beautiful song. She is well fed and clean, I don't know how she ended up dumped in the woods.

Right now we have her in a crate we had for our rats (another story). The base measures 24 x 14 inches and is too small for her, it is too narrow but the length is probably OK. I mention this for Gipsie or anyone else considering her.

P1010708s.JPG

P1010712s.JPG

We cut a Franzia wine box in half which makes a nice den. She has a retreat and protection from drafts.
P1010714s.JPG

Gipsie, next week would be fine, she is not a burden. I'll PM you soon. You could have our cage, but it is too small for her. We have timmothy for you, 65 bales in the barn.

Ed

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Ed, I would lay off the lettuce...it sometimes gives pig bad diahrea and they are so simple it normally ends up killing them.....timmy hay is best and pelletts.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica said name her Amelia since she was found near Emilio Carranza's Memorial.

I guess really the name would be up to gipsie.

Guy