Abandoned guinea pig at Carranza

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, Emilio Carranza was known as the Mexican Lindbergh, and Lindbergh was known as Lucky Lindy, so Lucky does tie in both ways.

I suspect your post is going to knock Jessica's name off the list. :bang:

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Miss Piggy update

Well we had to call her something and she sure can eat.

The funny thing about names is that you can spend allot of time trying to pick one but then some chareristic comes out and a nick name is born.

I just got this email from a friend who is not a member here but has read the thread:
"
Read the thread on your rescue, how about Kismet or Destiny for her name.
"

Well back to Miss Piggy, she is healthy and easy to handle. She is in a cage on a table near the kitchen. I came down this morning to prepare dog food and when I looked over to her she stood up and started to wistle and sing to me. I gave her a piece of carrot. I think she is training me.

Hopefully the weather will be good on Monday and Gipsie will have a new friend. We will miss her!

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Well she is in her new home and seems to be as happy as a pig in....well, you know what I mean. She is absolutely gorgeous and very sweet. I was at the refrigerator in the other room and grabbed a carrot and asked her if she wanted one. She started squealing. When I walked into her room she ran to the side of the cage and practically stood up, sniffing. She adjusts well and loves being held.

She is going to get along just fine here....

Thanks Ed! It was great to finally meet you today and thanks for showing me your beautiful home!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Glad to hear all is well, all thanks to Ed and you.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Gipsie if you ever need any tips on the pigs care let me know. We've had pigs since I was little and some of the care tips you read out there can be real inaccurate. I noticed in the picture the former owner had the pig in cedar chips, I would suggest using only pine shavings. Also I would try not to feed the pig lots of lettuce, especially iceberg. Often times for adult pigs this will result in wet tail which is another name for diarhea and almost always fatal...Celery can have a similar effect...and feeding apples is a big no no. The best foods to give are timmy hay and pellets. Our pig we have now is 6 years old and has lived longer than all our other pigs by 2 years. I think its mainly due to us feeding him Timmy hay and no lettuce, some carrots, and pellets. Also you may notice her sometimes eating her own po...well you can figure out the rest....if she does its perfectly normal for a pig, its how they get vitamins believe it or not. Good luck with the pig and thanks Ed for rescuing her.

Some of our pigs,
Picture024.jpg

IMG_5547.jpg

IMG_5264.jpg

IMG_5073.jpg

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
She really is a sweetie. I had a friend over last night and he was holding her and she was just snuggling and chirping. We let her run around for awhile and she would always be right at one of our feet.

This morning, I woke up to the sound of her at the water bottle and took her out of her cage and brought her on the bed. I have an electric blanket and she made a little tunnel next to my hand and just laid there under the blanket, on my hand, chirping away.

A friend of mine said, "You guys are going to get some great karma out of this one." And I replied, "I already did."

Her name is Karma.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Nice job Ed and Gipsie. Karma seems like a well fitting name. I hope the jerk that dumped her gets a taste of it! You should get the pig watching "My Name is Earl"? Its a funny show and is all about karma. Best of luck.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I wound up buying a "playpen" for her so she could get out of the cage. It is just soft 'fencing' that sits on the floor. I used it once and she seemed to be not thrilled. The next day, I laid a blanket on the floor and surrounded it with pillows and crocheted blamkets. She is THRILLED. She burrows and snuggles under the blankets. Piggy heaven, I guess.

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
I've been following this thread from its beginning and really love the name that was ultimately chosen for the little gal. Sounds like she's in good hands. Congrats to the both of you, Gipsie and Karma.

Pandot

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I just wanted to add an update and a thank you to Ed. Karma really is a joy and very funny. She is completely spoiled. The minute a light comes on in the morning, she squeals away until I say good morning. If the crisper drawer on the fridge opens and she hears it, she squeals until she gets a carrot. If I turn out the light at night without giving her "cuddle time" she squeals.

She has been such a joy and a lot of fun.

The best thing I learned so far is that piggies give "kisses". I hold her for a little bit every day. If I put my finger near her face, she nibbled on it. It doesn't hurt most times, but it is a definite nibble. Funny thing though...the past few days, she has not nibbled at all, but has done something kinda unexpected. I was lying down watching TV and had her lying on my chest. She nestled against my face and I though she was going to nibble and just before I moved her away, she seemed to be giving me "kisses" on my cheek. She was licking me, like a dog does. I put my finger in front of her face and again she was kissing not nibbling. She has not nibbled on my finger at all anymore, now she just gives "kisses". She has become very loving, it is quite funny.

Thanks Ed, for saving her and no she has a good home. And if her "kisses" are any clue, she must be getting pretty comfortable....

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Your welcome Gipsie, we are glad to hear you enjoy each other. Every time I go by Carranza I see the pile of shavings and think of her.

Ed

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If there was an award for the thread that turned out the best, this one would win. Very nice to hear she is doing well.

Guy