According to this gauge

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would take a guess and say nobody here actually knows the answer to that since nobody replied. I think it is fair to say that once the weather warms and the rain decreases you should not go. It really is a nightmare on that river when the water is low. My daughter Jennifer said that was one of her worse experiences ever when we went and it was low.

Guy

virgos

Explorer
Mar 25, 2007
oh

The way I wrote it first made it look like a statement. I just wanted to make sure. I went again this Sunday with my mom. Never did have to get out of the kayak but it was much lower than last Sunday. Why is the river level so temperamental?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The way I wrote it first made it look like a statement. I just wanted to make sure. I went again this Sunday with my mom. Never did have to get out of the kayak but it was much lower than last Sunday. Why is the river level so temperamental?

I am not certain; however, I would say the main reason is it is controlled by humans and the flow into it after that control is minimal compared to other streams. Just a guess.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am not sure. I am surprised you have not had other comments.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Does that have all to do with the cranberry bogs.

Virgos, I honestly did not know it was tempermental until it was pointed out to me on this discussion board. I must have done that river 5 times in the 70's, and it was not like it is today. I have no clue. You mention the bogs. If it were bogs, it would have to be Sim Place, as the other ones on Oswego Road don't seem to contribute all that much as it is.

What about the second little dam on Harrisville Lake, I wonder if that has something to do with it.

What is really more likely is the type of sand bottom. Maybe it just sucks up the overflow faster?