airport lake

Jello454

May 30, 2004
Piscataway NJ
Ok this has nothing to do with the pines but I'm going to put this out there because its something I have been trying to research and get info on and I'm coming up with nothing.

In Flemington theres this lake in an area with nothing but farm fields and woods around, near it there is a hugh open field, I have been told that this is called airport lake or possibly adams airport. there are no signs of anything being out in this area, there is one 2 story building that could have been a garage. The building and large field are about a mile and a half from the road, there is only a dirt road leading up to them. Then the lake is one mile past the building, there is a dirt road encirciling the lake. I have been here and I have looked this area up on google earth, the nearest house has to be 3 to 4 miles away. I looked it up on historic aerials and found in a 1963 view there were other builds near the one left now and air planes parked by them. But in 1970's views and 1986's there is nothing just the one building.
What I want to know does anyone else know of this place and what is the deal with it???
Why would there have been a small airport here and it seems to have disappeared???

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Airports disappear all the time, especially small ones. Land is valuable and when people move in, they complain about the noise. Sad, but true. We just lost an airport in Hopewell twp a few weeks ago for that reason.
Can you be a little more specific about where this lake is? Streets, etc? There are quite a few in the area, and quite a few old airports, too.

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
Airports disappear all the time, especially small ones. Land is valuable and when people move in, they complain about the noise. Sad, but true. We just lost an airport in Hopewell twp a few weeks ago for that reason.
Plus the insurance on the place went from 250K per year to 2.5 mil per year or some rediculous amount, which is the real reason it folded.

Jello454

May 30, 2004
Piscataway NJ
Can you be a little more specific about where this lake is? Streets, etc? There are quite a few in the area, and quite a few old airports, too.

It is near rainbow hill road and I think wertsville road if that helps. Not too sure what else is near this area I think is close to neshanic too.

Jello454

May 30, 2004
Piscataway NJ
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=40.46208274447016&lng=-74.77136135101318&z=16&type=h&gpx=

See if this link works......

Wertsville road and Rainbow Hill road are to the top left of the map.

You can see the one building in the middle, its just at the edge of the woods opening up to the large field that was (I guess) the run way for the airport.

If you move the map a little to the south following dirt roads and trails you will come across the lake, ya cant miss it.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Plus the insurance on the place went from 250K per year to 2.5 mil per year or some rediculous amount, which is the real reason it folded.
The township raised the taxes a lot, too, I hear. The owners were forced to sell because Hopwell wanted another soccer field there. (Twin Pine airport). My husband used to fly banner planes from Twin Pine.

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
The township raised the taxes a lot, too, I hear. The owners were forced to sell because Hopwell wanted another soccer field there. (Twin Pine airport). My husband used to fly banner planes from Twin Pine.
Correct. Now three townships are sharing the space. Hopewell, Ewing and Lawrence. I landed there as a kid many moons ago thinking for sure we were crashing. I mean who ever heard of a grass landing strip. It just looked like a field to me.

Jello454

May 30, 2004
Piscataway NJ
That was a private airport. The guy who owned it was a retired commercial pilot and did aerobatics every day, he really really loved to fly. I saw him all the time, he would dive and roll for hours. He was killed in a crash about two years ago.
http://www.1010wins.com/pages/62537.php?

Wow!!!
Thats horrible he died doing something he loved to do.
So do you know why that airport closed or has it just been abandoned????
It seems that people must be riding dirt bikes there too I have noticed a lot of tracks there.
And what of that lake is it private property??? There is actually a couple of old cars in the lake and also a sunk kayak!!!!!

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I have a couple of friends on the East and West Amwell township committees, I'll ask about the property. I think it was left to kids who don't live there. I am pretty sure it is all private property.