Along the Cave Cabin Branch

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I have acquired a small amount of deeds to property in the pines where the corners are not exactly known to the owner. I am slowing working my way through them and today Jessica and I spent 4 hours crashing through the woods along the Cave Cabin Branch. Before heading out I was looking over our route to this area, and decided to stop and check out along the way a location where I felt had a high possibility to have a large stone. On the way there we came across one of there corner monuments.

IMG_3695.JPG

I then thought I had discovered a wooden stake for the property I was looking to find, but after coming home and looking my information over I believe this is a tax line which are shown on the tax maps for the town in question. I never knew they surveyed the tax lines but I will have to check into this. It is hard to explain what I mean anyway.

I found two of them.

IMG_3698a.jpg

IMG_3700a.jpg

Next in line was the possible large stone. There were enough clues in my research to get very close to this location and after walking around for a few minutes I found it hidden in thick brush. It is a large sandstone stone and it obviously has worn away over the years.

IMG_3702.JPG

Then to one of the property corners I wanted to find. The deed made no mention of a stone and just called it a "point" which means nothing is there. But sometimes in later years the adjacent land owners will place something there on their own. And much to my surprise right in the middle of a swamp we have a Green Acres Monument. This will be a great help in finding the other corners.

IMG_3704.JPG

The Cave Cabin Branch has some really nice Corduroy Roads and I will explore more of them on my next visit.

IMG_3709.JPG

And just when we all thought that fall and winter is on the way, I noticed this after Jessica walked right by it.

Rough Green Snake

IMG_3714.JPG

IMG_3717a.jpg

This is what you look like when you have a snake in your right hand and try to get your phone out of the right pocket with your left hand.

IMG_3718.JPG

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The wooden hub with tack is likely just a traverse point Guy.
We set them as an intermediate point to traverse through the woods along the paths of least resistance.
Later, back in the office, we use their location rotated onto the deed or survey plotting to calculate search points for the actual corners.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Okay then, why are they not on the line? I thought they were but they aren't.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Unless someone wants to pay dearly for seeing his actual property lines opened up and surveyed, we set points where we can gain the most ground in the shortest amount of time. The calculations made from the traverse points make it easier to find the corners.

As an example, I would set a traverse point in the middle of your backyard so I can calculate the search points to both of your back corners from one observation point. The location of the stake has no relationship to property lines.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Glad to see that they're using more colorful property markers now, but how do they get them to stay in one place?

They are connected to a pipe which is hammered into the ground.

Al, it was in the air on branches.

Guy