Am I alone?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Not knocking it at all! It's a great unit and pretty new also, I'm just too lazy to wire it up properly. Same model as the one in the bedroom, but I have a dedicated outlet there.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You're not alone Bob. The way energy prices are going, keeping only one air conditioned room makes sense to me...

Good. I don't want to feel eccentric, tho I sometimes do. Last summer was a lot cooler than this one, but I like sticking it out (mostly). Energy is not coming down, and if it does, then we won't make progress to renewables.

I read today that enough sunlight strikes the earth in 40 minutes to power the entire world for a year. Another thing I heard that mesmerizes me is that a red dwarf star has enough power to allow every person in the U.S. to "personally" have 20 million Hoover Dams.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I read today that enough sunlight strikes the earth in 40 minutes to power the entire world for a year. Another thing I heard that mesmerizes me is that a red dwarf star has enough power to allow every person in the U.S. to "personally" have 20 million Hoover Dams.

And Einstein showed us that a tiny little bit of any matter could power the whole planet for years. It's just a problem of conversion :).

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I hate air conditioning, it gives me headaches. I never had it, not for my entire life, until I bought the house we're in now, 3 years ago. My husband loves it so it's a compromise. I'd rather sleep with a fan and all the windows open. I love summer and feel like I'm missing out on it always closed up in a cool house.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I have a 220 v window unit with a thermostat on it so it turns on and off like central air. keeps my ranch like a meat locker, people complain when they come over that it is to cold. after working outside all day it is nice to come home to a cold house. I am to cheap to get central air, I can think of alot of other things I would rather spend a few thousand dollars on. my unit is cheap to use, my electric bill in the summer with the a.c., pool pump, stove, hot water heater and lights is only about $150.00 a month. Bob, my friend owns a chimeny restoration company out of Toms river, if you didn't do the work yet p.m. me and I can give you his number, he does great work.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have a 220 v window unit with a thermostat on it so it turns on and off like central air. keeps my ranch like a meat locker, people complain when they come over that it is to cold. after working outside all day it is nice to come home to a cold house. I am to cheap to get central air, I can think of alot of other things I would rather spend a few thousand dollars on. my unit is cheap to use, my electric bill in the summer with the a.c., pool pump, stove, hot water heater and lights is only about $150.00 a month. Bob, my friend owns a chimeny restoration company out of Toms river, if you didn't do the work yet p.m. me and I can give you his number, he does great work.

Thanks, I didn't do it yet. I need to let my (cough) accounts build up some more. But please do, I'll have it for then.......bob

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I hate air conditioning, it gives me headaches. I never had it, not for my entire life, until I bought the house we're in now, 3 years ago. My husband loves it so it's a compromise. I'd rather sleep with a fan and all the windows open. I love summer and feel like I'm missing out on it always closed up in a cool house.

It is funny how we get used to things, last summer we went camping alot. One weekend it was in the high 90 and the nights were in the 80's the first night I could not sleep by the third night I was fine. When I was a kid A/C was a luxury, now it is a neccesity. As an A/C mechanic I am very aware of how people can't function without it. Even the Marine Corps sends their people home when the A/C goes out. When a building has an outage that last a couple of days however it is amazing how fast they get used to it. When you get it running again everyone complains that it is too cold! I swear 50% of indoor air quality is psychological. If half of the people in a building are too hot and half are too cold then my job is done.

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
Boyd,
Do not knock the 220v air conditioner. Even if it is an old dog, which indeed can be costly, 220v keeps the amperage down which taxes your service. Many misconceptions. In the end yes wattage consumption is relevant to the amperage of the machine (Volts x Amps of course equal watts) but while kilowatt hours may seem costly, you might not actually gain any value in regard to overtaxing that circuit unless you dedicate it to the unit.
You can get some cheapie little 49.99 unit and have barely adequate cooling while saving no real $$$ on your bill.

g.

George, it is a privilege and honor to be on the same site as you. Might I add that I will let the "Powers to Be" of this site know of your vast knowledge of the Pines and how lucky and fortunate we are to have you on board.

Thank you good Sir.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
?
Any vast knowledge I have certainly doesn't relate to the pines.
A novice I am at best.
You are a very disturbed being.

I do however say for the sake of the thread, I spent many a year with a unit in the bedroom only so even that back in 2000 I dropped big $$$ to have an A/C system old worked into an old and tiny home, I wouldn't trade it back.
I don't mind for heat when I am out & about. It's all part of the territory I guess. But when I kick my feets up at night, Central air sure feels nice.
I hear you Bob. It's a bugger sometimes. Some of the older homes though were fashioned in just such a way that windows opened in the proper opposing manner allowed for a delicious crossbreeze in the 'eve.
I don't remember ever hearing my Grandparents bitch even once at the old homestead in Elm.

g.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
It is funny how we get used to things, last summer we went camping alot. One weekend it was in the high 90 and the nights were in the 80's the first night I could not sleep by the third night I was fine. When I was a kid A/C was a luxury, now it is a neccesity. As an A/C mechanic I am very aware of how people can't function without it. Even the Marine Corps sends their people home when the A/C goes out. When a building has an outage that last a couple of days however it is amazing how fast they get used to it. When you get it running again everyone complains that it is too cold! I swear 50% of indoor air quality is psychological. If half of the people in a building are too hot and half are too cold then my job is done.
I have spent a lot of time in Spain during the summer where it can be unbelievably hot. Yet nobody has air conditioning, not even in many of the hotels. I have to admit that there have been some brutal nights, but mostly, it's no big thing. I would much rather spend the money and energy on something else. Like chocolate and beer. :)