An unusual event!

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I would really like some imput here. I was considering a get together for all interested, when the weather gets warmer of course. This would be at my garage, video taping and pictures allowed....of one of the last few remaining real "pineys" knitting a snapper fike. He 64 yrs old and will be using the actual tool his father used many years ago. I will also be video taping this once in a life time event. This man actually lived at Atsion, Parkdale, and Batsto as well. He will answer all questions. I am also interested in getting another individual who claims to have rare pics of Atsion, to attend this event. Please let me know if interested. Thanks for your time.

Rubibee

Scout
Dec 10, 2002
Moorestown, NJ
Gerania said:
What is a fike? I've never heard that term before.

Gillian

I presume this is what is used to catch snappers. "knitting" like a net using an old tool of some kind.

let's see. dictionary.com spells it [I}fyke - A long, bag-shaped fishing net held open by hoops.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yeah that's right. Cobb is pictured with a snapper fyke. I don't recall that I've ever seen one. I was swimming in Oswego lake once. As I came to the shore an old guy, real big guy, looked like he could break me in half, was there. Anyway, he told me to watch out for snappers. I kind of laughed and then he stuck out his foot. 2 and 1/2 toes were missing. He said he was checking his fykes one morning and a big snapper got his toes. He then went on to tell me that he ate that turtle later that night. I never did ask him if he tried retrieving his toes out of its' stomach.

Jeff

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Sorry everyone, my spelling error...fyke. Yes it is actually knitted together with two hoops at each end. Once the snappers get in, they cannot get out. The tool he uses was carved out of wood. This is one of the many lost trades of the past. Snappers are very vicious, and fully believe the "toe" story.
He guy who has the pics is very friendly and interested in the pines. You would enjoy his company as he would yours.
Alot of responses...now how many want to come?
I will try now to link a picture, let me know if it works.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'd like to come Sue, although I do have a jam-packed schedule this Spring. Take my advice though Sue, set a date convenient for you and him, announce it, and stick with it. Otherwise you'll try to please everyone and not hold it at all.

Or, another way I recently thought of, give 2 or 3 dates, then give a cutoff for selecting one, with the most people selecting that date being the one selected. Then, don't change it. If people really want to make it, they'll change their plans.