Ancient graves of Sayers & Ludlams

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I walked in off of First Ave and headed south.The road was walkable to the grave area and then i think the road kinda disappeared.You came in from the other direction so apparently there is an overgrown area in the middle.Did you see the old wire fence?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Are your maps able to be downloaded on a Android phone? Id like to have the LIDAR maps while I'm walking around.

Update: sorry, but boydsmaps.com no longer offers downloadable maps, however quite a lot of maps are available online to use on your computer or on your phone like a GPS.

https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.349290/-74.809996/pines2023/0.00/0.00
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My maps are fully compatible with a number of Android apps. They are intended to be downloaded on your computer, and using free open source software you can then view them and send part or all of them to your phone. This is all explained in the documentation for the LIDAR map:

Do you not have access to a computer? It should be possible to do this directly on a phone, but rather awkward and you would have to install the entire 16gb map instead of only sending a portion to the phone. You would need to download the map directly to your phone and then un-zip the file somehow (I think there are utilities for this, but I don't use Android very often myself). This might be an issue, because when you unzip the file, you'll need almost 32gb available storage on the phone (16gb for the downloaded .zip file and another 16gb for the un-zipped version).

The file named boydmapLP-HD.mbtiles should be compatible (I think) with the Galileo app and probably Locus Map on Android.

I would not really suggest using my maps in this fashion though, you should install them on your computer as described in the documentation, then transfer them to your phone.

Last edited:

Brandon Yachere

Jun 28, 2018
Dorothy
Correct I was heading north up the trail and got really close to where it would be. I didn't see any fence at all so I must not have made it close enough. The trail coming from 1st Ave looked to be not as thick so I will give it a try that way soon. What kind of fence was it?

I walked in off of First Ave and headed south.The road was walkable to the grave area and then i think the road kinda disappeared.You came in from the other direction so apparently there is an overgrown area in the middle.Did you see the old wire fence?

Reactions: manumuskin

Brandon Yachere

Jun 28, 2018
Dorothy
Thanks I didn't know I was able to transfer it from my computer to my phone. I will go that route and your maps are great thanks for putting them out for free for everyone to use!

My maps are fully compatible with a number of Android apps. They are intended to be downloaded on your computer, and using free open source software you can then view them and send part or all of them to your phone. This is all explained in the documentation for the LIDAR map

Do you not have access to a computer? It should be possible to do this directly on a phone, but rather awkward and you would have to install the entire 16gb map instead of only sending a portion to the phone. You would need to download the map directly to your phone and then un-zip the file somehow (I think there are utilities for this, but I don't use Android very often myself). This might be an issue, because when you unzip the file, you'll need almost 32gb available storage on the phone (16gb for the downloaded .zip file and another 16gb for the un-zipped version).

The file named boydmapLP-HD.mbtiles should be compatible (I think) with the Galileo app and probably Locus Map on Android.

I would not really suggest using my maps in this fashion though, you should install them on your computer as described in the documentation, then transfer them to your phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Correct I was heading north up the trail and got really close to where it would be. I didn't see any fence at all so I must not have made it close enough. The trail coming from 1st Ave looked to be not as thick so I will give it a try that way soon. What kind of fence was it?
It is a wire fence smashed down to the ground in some places and half standing in others.Ypu could step over it about anywhere or step on it and smash it down.I found a hole about ten by 8 by 2 ft deep at one spot like maybe someone was trying to dig a grave up? Not shaped like a sunk in grave.I found no stones

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
On the Hartman Survey Map 8 it shows Ancient graves of the Sayers and Ludlams. This shows it close to the corner of present 1st ave and Cape May ave in Estelle Manor.

I have been working on the Hartman maps for the past week and have developed a geo-referencing technique that works pretty well. Since everything was handy, I made a little map of the area. I used the Hartman map #2 instead of #8. Have not spent any time on map #8 yet, but this area looks the same to me.

I have overlaid contemporary parcels in pink and the bright green areas are public openspace from the NJDEP dataset. As discussed above, openspace boundaries may not be very precise.

sayers.jpg

Here's larger map of the area at this link. When you un-zip the folder you will find a .kmz file that can be used in Google Earth or Garmin Basecamp.

[bad link removed]

kmz.jpg

Note that this download will only be available for a limited time. Will post more about my Hartman project in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Here's a bit of interesting trivia. I am working with the 19th century Cook topo maps now, they are very cool and surprisingly accurate. I'm doing precision geo-referencing that involves matching about 400 points on each map with accurate road data. More on this later... but here's the same area on the Cook topo. It shows a "dog leg" at the Northeast corner of that diagonal road - it's not just a straight line. Have not seen this little detail on any other map before.

dogleg.jpg

Reactions: Brandon Yachere

Brandon Yachere

Jun 28, 2018
Dorothy
Yesterday I took a walk in there. I followed the old road from 1st Ave and I was able to still see the old road. I had to weave thru all the laurels but I was able to make it to where I think the graves would be. Their was a old fence that I was barely able to see so I had to be at the right spot. I kicked around for a while trying to spot something but came up empty. Laurels are thick so the graves could easily be covered up

It is a wire fence smashed down to the ground in some places and half standing in others.Ypu could step over it about anywhere or step on it and smash it down.I found a hole about ten by 8 by 2 ft deep at one spot like maybe someone was trying to dig a grave up? Not shaped like a sunk in grave.I found no stones

Reactions: manumuskin and Boyd

Brandon Yachere

Jun 28, 2018
Dorothy
I have not see that dog leg in any of the maps I have looked at. Another map I looked at showed a completely different from any other maps I seen.
http://www.westjerseyhistory.org/ma...ounty - Beers Comstock and Cline - 1872.shtml

Here's a bit of interesting trivia. I am working with the 19th century Cook topo maps now, they are very cool and surprisingly accurate. I'm doing precision geo-referencing that involves matching about 400 points on each map with accurate road data. More on this later... but here's the same area on the Cook topo. It shows a "dog leg" at the Northeast corner of that diagonal road - it's not just a straight line. Have not seen this little detail on any other map before.

View attachment 11415