Ancora Bogs

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
There is an asylum for the mentally challenged in Ancora, but what I'm really looking for is information on the bogs, and to be more specific, their relation to the Central Jersey R.R.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
There is an asylum for the mentally challenged in Ancora, but what I'm really looking for is information on the bogs, and to be more specific, their relation to the Central Jersey R.R.

Not to be a pain, but can you be a little bit more specific on the bogs you're looking at ( maybe a Topo ) ( I'm guessing your looking around the Hobb Lake area or it's offsprings. You're in my backyard & also REDNEKF350's. One of us should be able to clue you in. I play about in my area almost weekly, never tire of it. The relation to the JCR isn't much to speak of if your in the area I'm thinking of. Given what I think your interests are, there's good things for you out this way. I'll be happy to help if I can.

g.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery

For the record, the hospital is a psychiatric hospital. So it is more for the emotionally disturbed than the mentally challenged. So nascars comment about nuts is on target. But I know that is not what your asking about.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
i just looked at my topo map for that area and did not see any bogs, not to say there arn't any

in looking at the map along "blue anchor brook" (at the end of Anchor lake two) and "albertson brook" would be a possiblity

sound like you need to make an expolrity "swamp stomp" !

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Thanks Largo and Onehand. What I'm in the process of doing is putting together a hike on the JCR, and want to hit as low South in a "greenway",so to speak, as possible. Some of you have probably heard about the Rails to Trails program with the JCR, and this trip is in conjunction with that. I was hoping to jump on the JCR somewhere below 536 and tie in what I thought was Hobbs lake. I'm going to be doing this near the end of October over a 3 day period so I'll be scouting over the next few weeks leading up to it.
Any info on that area, or anything else concerning this, drop a line or PM me, thanks all.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
i just looked at my topo map for that area and did not see any bogs, not to say there arn't any

in looking at the map along "blue anchor brook" (at the end of Anchor lake two) and "albertson brook" would be a possiblity

sound like you need to make an expolrity "swamp stomp" !

swamp stomp indeed!!!:jd:

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
i just looked at my topo map for that area and did not see any bogs, not to say there arn't any. in looking at the map along "blue anchor brook" (at the end of Anchor lake two) and "albertson brook" would be a possiblity.sound like you need to make an expolrity "swamp stomp" !

It is this that Onehand speaks of that I am refering to. In my gallery are a couple sunrise pics ( not real good ) from a little early canoeing I did in the spring. Good stuff in the bogs out there as well as the Albertson and it's subsequent path to the JCR but as stated in the thread:
HUNTING SEASON BEGINS THIS WEEKEND.....
Watch yourself.

You're not going to tie in the JCR to the Hobb lake in any practical fashion. You do want to however get in way below 536, like on the other side of rt.30 where the Winslow Junction is. Heck, hike right over the Trestle crossing 30 if you can and follow the Fleming Pike through Hammonton/Elm, over the Albertson (couple pics of that crossing in my gallery as well) ( got my son Jason Booking North on the JCR in the pics too. ) Cross 536 in the Chewtown area, Over the Clark Branch,go through Parkdale, Behind Dutchtown, cross the Sleeper... take it way past 206, Atsion/Mullica trestle, as far as you want really. The way to your bogs if we're talking about the same ones is to Jump across the Fleming pike right after the Albertson trestle, head West. You'll cross Fleming pike right at the White bridge (Iron Mill) There is a little Jeep trail to follow that parallels Wharton ave and takes you right into the Bogs. It's just the jaunt I would take. You of course can vary it quite a bit if you want to get messy, or shot. A great junket no matter how you do it.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Now we're cooking! Thanks for that sage advice Largo, those are some definite possibilities you've thrown out there for me, thanks a bunch!!!

I have orange hiking wear for this specific time of year (hat & vest), but thanks for looking out.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you need the locations of the Milepost on the JCRR in that area write me and I will pass them along. You can look for them as you walk. I don't have the exact locations for many of them, but very close. The ones I don't have maybe you can pass along the coordinates for me to add to my info. I just have not had time to look for them all. And I may know where there is a complete one in that area, but not sure if it still is.

guy

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
If you need the locations of the Milepost on the JCRR in that area write me and I will pass them along. You can look for them as you walk. I don't have the exact locations for many of them, but very close. The ones I don't have maybe you can pass along the coordinates for me to add to my info. I just have not had time to look for them all. And I may know where there is a complete one in that area, but not sure if it still is.

guy

Thanks Guy, commitments will keep me away this weekend, but next Sat-Sun I'll be out both days. The coordinates would be appreciated, I'll be in touch soon.
Joe~

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
With a little time to kill this afternoon and my older kids visiting inlaws, I threw my wife & youngin' in the truck & brought the canoe for a quick jaunt on the upper of the two bogs. I'll keep it short.... it was just plain fun for us.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
With a little time to kill this afternoon and my older kids visiting inlaws, I threw my wife & youngin' in the truck & brought the canoe for a quick jaunt on the upper of the two bogs. I'll keep it short.... it was just plain fun for us.

Couldn't have asked for a nicer day, blue skies and comfortable Fall temps. Must've been a good one

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Funniest thing happened yesterday. On my afternoon commute out of Philadelphia, as I was riding the speedline, I came upon a JCRR reference in a book. The book is Jack Kerouac's Lonesome Traveler, and deals with some of his time as a railman. He mentions running into a Central Jersey Rail car in San Francisco. Not the biggest deal of course, but kind of interesting none the less.

00xj54

Scout
May 2, 2006
It calles them Ancora Bogs on the Wharton Map you get at the Tanger Sation. I live RIGHT there and we've always called it Millers Bog. I don't know anything other then that.