Andrew Rider & Charles Wilkinson Stone

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I need input from all of you for some idea's. I actually made "shoes" to walk around in to help us find stones and they worked semi well even though Al found all the stones. :bang: Today my legs feel like rubber and I want some different idea's.

I had an old pair of sneakers and cut two 2x4 pieces of wood the same length as my sneakers. I then screwed sheet rock screws thru the wood so they stuck out a full inch or more on one side. And lastly I screwed the sneakers to the wood in two places with a large washer and put them on. Whenever they hit stone it was very obvious and all I had to do was walk around. At first it was cumbersome, but I soon got quite good at it. However, the screws kept picking up the wet leaves and in no time they weighed a ton. This also kept the screws from going into the ground fully.

Al had some other suggestions on using this idea with a hand held device, and I will be trying that in the future. However, I like the shoes system but want other idea's that will make it easier to walk, and idea's on how to keep the leaves from sticking so much. The threads on the screws were the problem, and even nails I am sure would hold the leaves but they also may come out easier than the threaded screws which I don't want.

Here is a very short video of them. You can't see the screws but can hear them hitting the concrete. This video can only be viewed if you have the link. Nobody on youtube can view it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afL5SmNuqqo

Any idea's to make them better?

If you see anyone walking in the woods with a shoe box.........that is me :D

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I don't think it is possible to get around the problem of leaf accumulation on the spikes. It is part of what you are doing. If you styled your spiked shoes closer to an ice crampon, it could slow the amount that is picked up. The wedges would be slower to pick up leaves. Either that you have to design some sort of kicker, maybe a loose piece of rubber that flaps down when you walk that would sweep some of the leaves off. How many spikes do you have in the bottom and the pattern?

cramp.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have 8 but I need more. Al found one of the stones so I walked over it with my shoes. I happened to catch the stone between the spikes and it did not make a sound. So I am missing some area's that I actually walk on.

I could use on of those in your photo but I suspect the spikes are too short.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yesterday kept us away so we ventured out today and found another Rider & Wilkinson stone. This one I have looked for twice and today my 60CSX GPS got us within three feet. Even though it was a nice find we were about 1 for 10 today on second and third tries.

IMG_8358.JPG

IMG_8359.JPG

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I hunted for a half an hour for that thing last winter and I believe you've been out there too and came back empty handed.We're going to have to start dropping an half acre of trees to get a good fix like the surveyors do:)
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yesterday, Al (manumuskin) searched for a few Rider stones that Jessica and I had quickly looked for earlier this year and he came up with three of them. This morning Jessica and I searched for quite a few more and found 4. Unfortunately, we did not find more R&W incised stones. We were in the upland area just north of the road from Carranza to Hampton Park.

Al's finds yesterday that I visited today.

2.JPG

4.JPG

7.JPG

Our finds today.

A small stone

64.jpg

67.JPG

68.JPG

69.JPG

So far that is 20 of 84. A couple of them were at one time right in the center of Carranza Road. These date to long before that road was built it appears.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
It's funny to think at first we were looking for above ground stones and went over the whole area and said man out of 80 stones theres not a single one here,Then you found that one inscribed stone just poking through the pine needles and we started going back over them and the ones barely poking up started to come to light and now were stabbing the ground and they are popping up all over the place.I had also noticed the locations of a couple being right in the middle of carranza road.I wonder how old that road is.I'm sure it was even narrower originally but these seemed to be right in the middle of it.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I can't be certain, but I suspect the road must have followed their property line in that area. That may be the reason the road is where it is. Then again I could be completely wrong.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I had a few hours today available to me so my brother and I headed out to search. I was 1 for 5.

56.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Today was a nice day to be in the big woods, and by 11AM Jessica and I had found three more stones. All three I had looked for before. The GPS was a little off today and we struggled quite a bit. I am sure we missed quite a few that we looked for today. They have to be there.

IMG_8390.JPG

This was semi large

IMG_8393.JPG

And this one is right by the road along the Skit Branch. I looked twice for this before and Jessica found it in seconds today.

IMG_8397.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
After spending both days of the weekend exploring the pines, I decided that was not enough. So I used my planned day off from work to spend time with Al and Jessica searching for Rider/Wilkinson stones. By 8:15 we were on the prowl and finds came fast and furious. As usual that did not last long, but we did well for a while.

This one was well hidden. 8:44AM

IMG_8468.JPG

Multiple tries in the past made this one a nice find.

IMG_8469.JPG

Our third find at 9:30AM. The stone will be pushed in a few years it appears.

IMG_8473.JPG

IMG_8474.JPG

And at 9:44AM our final find.

IMG_8476.JPG

Guy

bob

Nov 18, 2011
hey all , was ckeching some historic maps and came across pine barrens explores, from whiting ,do you guys meet,

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

You would think that after a minimum of 5 attempts by Al, Jessica, and I, we would have given up looking at one location for a stone that has eluded us for some time. On one occasion I spent over a half hour by myself looking for it. However, I was fixated on it knowing this location had the best possibility to have a Rider/Wilkinson stone. It is close to the cranberry warehouse ruins, but remote enough for it to still be there. So again this morning Jessica and I traveled there and my GPS put us in the same location. We poked around for a while and then decided to expand our search area slightly. It was a good decision. This one is larger than the rest and for the first time it has the 45 degree angles on it.

IMG_8479.JPG

IMG_8480.JPG

IMG_8481.JPG

Guy

Reactions: whippoorbill

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think she is becoming a believer :D She searched hard today.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Oh, BTW, she got hurt today. While walking and eating she cut her face on a pretzel :bang: That is a new one for me.