Andrew Rider & Charles Wilkinson Stone

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I have been slow this fall to start stone hunting for various reasons, but I have awakened and started work in my computer to do just that. So with that lets briefly go over a little history.

As some of you know the bogs at Hampton Furnace along the Batsto and the Skit Branch were owned by Andrew Rider and Charles Wilkinson, with Rider having been President of Rider College. You may also remember we have discussed the murder along the road from Atsion To Hampton Furnace where two employees of Andrew Rider were killed with Rider himself being injured and his brother killed. And the cranberry packing house at Hampton Furnace where the ruins still are today were built by Rider and Wilkinson for their cranberry operation. Rider and Wilkinson eventually sold the bogs, and by the time the state purchased them in the 1950s the property was owned by Clayberger and Goodrich, and sometime I believe in the 1960s the state acquired the property.

I have always been interested in the property lines of the Rider & Wilkinson cranberry bogs, but for the most part I had no evidence there were any property stones along their borders. Since the state now owns this property and all of the property surrounding their bogs, it more then likely will never be surveyed again. If their were any property stones to be found it would be up to individuals such as Al and I to search them out.

Recently, Al and I were examining various old maps we had found, and I noticed that one of them appeared to show that many of the more than 80 survey corners of this property may have had property stones on them. I had half hardily looked for them over the years and had been unsuccessful, so I decided it was time to wake up and see if I could come up with a piece of history that may be lost forever.

So this morning Jessica and I headed out early and spent the morning walking quite a few miles trying to find something of interest. Frustration is a familiar thing for me when stone searching, and today was no different. At each location we visited we circled around forever, at times removing pine needles for clarity. With one more possible location in our area to search at I was doubtful it would be a fruitful day. However, I was wrong! At the last location after circling for a while I stumbled on a significant find with a tree root growing right over it. It was a property stone made of granite with two historical initials written on the top. Andrew Rider and Charles Wilkinson still have a presence in the Hampton Furnace area.

The R & W (Rider/Wilkinson) stone. Most likely from around the turn of the century (1900)

IMG_5988.JPG

IMG_5989.JPG

Jessica taking a break.

IMG_5986.JPG

There may be as many as 80 of these so Al and I will be busy :)

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Congratulations Guy! Persistance wins the day.

Tell Jess to get up off her butt!

PS: They went to some expense with that marker. There are bound to be more.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There are 84 locations where we have to look. I think some of the ones in the denser woods will be the most likely place to find them. I looked for some along the road today and there is too much disturbance. They are more than likely gone, or they are underground.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Guy
I bet you were doing back flips:)Like when we found the ED 1796 stone.I can no longer do back flips but I can still moonwalk a little bit which just may uncover a stone or two and I scrape away pine needles.
I had written that area off as the last time i went out there I came up empty as you almost did.Whip was photgraphing skit barnch and I was runnig up the road digging up pine needles looking for what you just found.I also found much disturbance and figured they were all destroyed or buried.
I know why jess is smiling.I have propped my weary butt down and leaned back against many a pine needle tree skirt like that and they are comfortable.Actually fell asleep against one once.By the way I pulled a tick out of my carotid artery last week when the temp was 42.nevaer have I gotten a tick in below 50 degeree weahter.He was in to his anal orifice too.Had to dig the little beast out.it was a dog tick.
Yes Tom,finding the first one gives you a definite point of beginning when plotting the rest if your working off a survey map but I believe Guy has plane coords for these which is a precise location for each stone/monument.If thats the case you don't need to plot just check out each location after you convert the plane coords to coordinates you can feed into a gps.And I believe as Guy and Bob do that if thats one is there there are bound to be more.With a survey map it normally tells you which ones have stones but I don't believe Guys info has that so we will have to check them all.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice find Guy. What was the date of the map that showed the stones. 1900?

I don't know the date of the map. Al and I were only able to look at the maps and not photograph them as I usually do.

I learned tonight that the state condemned the property at Hampton Furnace in 1964 so that they could control the headwaters of the Batsto. I also have acquired two wonderful 1946 photo's of the warehouse at Hampton Furnace when it was still in operation. I am trying now to get permission to post them here.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Because Jessica and I spent much of the day yesterday replacing the engine mounts on my car, and this morning she had a few things to do on her own, so I headed out myself today to look for more of the Rider & Wilkinson Stones at Hampton Park.

At the first location which is near the town itself I spent 15 minutes poking the ground with no results, and with my hopes dashed for a quick find I moved on to the next location deeper in the woods. This location was similar to the first and finding anything would be a challenge. I circled round and round poking away with my walking stick. Again, after 15 minutes I had enough and stood up to look around the area. Frustrated as I stood there I poked my stick into the ground, and the most amazing luck one could ever have happened. It hit the stone! This is only the second incised R&W stone I have found which could date back to as early as 1875.

IMG_8283.JPG

IMG_8285.JPG

Feeling good after this find I headed to the next location. Repeating the same procedure I was lucky enough to find the stone quite quickly. This location has a sandstone stone and obviously does not have a B&W stone. I would suspect this stone was there before Rider & Wilkinson owned the property or they would have placed one of their stones here.

IMG_8286.JPG

While looking for one other stone I lost my GPS. It had to be within 30 feet of me but I could not find it. I spent the last half hour of my day looking for it and finally found it hanging in a tree a few feet off the ground. I have to assume that bending over to get underneath a branch the GPS fell out of my top pocket and the strap hooked on the tree. Somehow it came over my head and I kept right on walking not noticing it was gone.

And a quick video I made for my mom showing Jessica replacing the engine mount on my car yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGfGBvswmMc

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes! Thats the not the first time you've got lucky with that stick! I think subconsciously your body senses stones and it extends to your stick while you are holding it. Can I buy it for 35 bucks? :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am sure most of you know the story of the shootout and murder on the road from 206 to Hampton Furnace back in 1916. The brother of Andrew Rider was shot in the jugular and died there from loss of blood. His daughter was also shot as was a repair man from Philly, and Andrew Rider himself. There is a pdf of the "South Jersey Republican" online where you can read their take on the matter. It mentions the location where it occurred.

The second paragraph from the left at the top titled "A Hold-up and Murder."

http://www.atlanticlibrary.org/newspapers/sjrepublican/SJR10071916.pdf.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe they caught everyone except one of them. I am heading to bed and will check the details tomorrow. In the mean time...

A cablegram was received a few days ago by Detective Parker from the American consul at Cantania, Italy, stating that Raffaele Purcionotte, alleged to have been implicated in the Rider automobile hold-up resulting in murder(name of decedent not stated), last Fall, had been taken into custody in that country and is now awaiting trial on this charge. He will be prosecuted by the King's attorney, and the evidence for the prosecutions will be depositions taken in this country. ...

And..

John N. Rigley, who was in the Rider automobile at the time the attack was made on the party last Fall, at Atsion, as it was going from Hammonton to Hampton Neck, where the Rider cranberry bogs are located, has brought suit under the employers' liability act, to recover for injuries received at that time. On the day the tragedy occurred Rigley, who is fifty-eight years of age, was assigned by his employers, R. L. Latimer & Company, of Philadelphia, to go to the Rider place to repair some machinery. When the car was held up by the Italians, Rigley was shot in the left arm, shoulder, neck and left leg and for a time his condition was serious. Part of the time he was paid $19.80 a week by his employers, but the payments ceased after a while. His wages were $21.50 a week and he asks adequate continued compensation. The action is brought in the Burlington county courts, in which jurisdiction the shooting occurred. It will be recalled that on the fateful day Henry Rider, brother of Andrew J. Rider, owner of the bogs, was killed by the bandits that attacked the party, and that Giovanni Iraca was convicted of the charge of participating in the crime and is now awaiting electrocution at the State prison. Three prisoners alleged to have been implicated in the hold-up are still in the county jail awaiting trial.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks Guy. That was such a small article in the original paper. It seemed they were just going to throw up their hands and say..."well, they made it into the woods, we'll never get 'em now".

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Dr. Cunningham was a busy man. He was well experienced with gunshot wounds. He was also called to fix up the youth robber shot by the police officer in the first article, left of the Rider paragraph.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This morning before the sun came up, Al and I were heading to Hampton Furnace (Hampton Park) to stone search for more of the Rider/Wilkinson stones. I parked at the recently repaired Bridge at Hampton and Al drove us back to Carranza Road. From there we hiked our way back to Hampton following along the headwaters of the Batsto River stopping at the appropriate locations to search for the stones. Al was on fire today finding all of the three stones we uncovered.

The first find had at least three stones there. Maybe multiple property corner stones.

58.JPG

Next a smaller one.

57.JPG

And another small one.

53.JPG

Unfortunately, we did not find another incised R & W stone which I had hoped would surface.

Guy