Annual forest fire mitigation program is underway in N.J.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I heard they were going to burn parts pf the Lacey Materials and create a new trail or road to the Forked River Mountains it is now county property.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That may be the path(s) they cut recently from Lacey Road. Should be interesting to see if they do that.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I was out Lacey Road today walking in Parkers second pit. As Guy said, there are 2 fire cuts that have been created. Each entrance in marked with pink tape. Driving from Mountain Rd/white gate towards town there is at least 4 other taped areas. There have been forest fire trucks parked on the road the last couple of days.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will have to get out there again and look around.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009

New post on Lacey Township Police Department
ei

Controlled Burning
- The New Jersey Forest Fire Service has notified the Lacey Township Police Department that they will be conducting controlled burning today (Friday, February 21, 2020) in the area of West Lacey Road and Spaulding Avenue, and West Lacey Road and Schoolhouse Road . Residents in Lacey Township may smell smoke throughout the day and evening.
Thank you,
-Chief Michael C. DiBella

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I used to get notification automatically, I haven't lately. Did they stop notification and now you have to go to their FB site?

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
They burned the North Shore Campground at Bass River State Forest this week. All 93 campsites are now crispy. I think they also did the cabin and shelter areas but I didn't make it out there.

It's pretty amazing what they do, how they control it. Sharp edges between burnt areas and where they wanted it to stop. They used leaf blowers to clear a rectangle around the picnic tables, down to bare earth, so the tables wouldn't catch fire, I guess. Of the 93 sites, they 'only' melted 3 of the site marker posts. See photo. (Guess who gets to dig up the remains and set new ones.)

Weirdest thing I saw and removed: One of those big 5 gallon water bottles used in water dispenser machines. It was resting on its side in the brush during the burn. Now half of it looks like new, half is melted flat.

Crispy_Campsite.jpg

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd