Another fire near Atsion

firetech792

Scout
Aug 26, 2007
Central NJ
www.sectionb10.org
7pm. 06/28/08- ...A fire was just detected down in section B3. Don't know the size or exact location at this time. 246 degrees from Apple Pie so I'm guessing around the Shamong/Tabernacle border near Wharton SF. Multiple power wagons are on it, helo Delta 6 is enroute, Apple Pie tower is manned and the New Lisbon office is staffed.

8 pm update- Skips Branch Fire: B3 IC is calling it 5-10 acres in Hampton Furnace area of Wharton SF, Shamong Twp, Burlington County, off Hampton Rd. No control at this time. Helo Delta 6 is working with the bucket. IC has ordered a D450 & widetrac dozers. Its a deep seated fire, power wagons having trouble getting in to it.

8 am 06/29/08- Crews are continuing today. Mostly burning in swamp. Managers are hoping that todays predicted storms will help put this one out.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Hmmmm..... who goes in the swamps near Hampton Furnace that we know of :D

Seriously, I hope they don't have to do too much damage to get it out.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This is one I often speak of that does more damage than the fire itself. Think a momemt. Its all green out there, the fire is probably burning relatively cool, and could be stopped at the next road its heading toward. Throwing power wagons and bulldozers in the swamp is efficient?

firetech792

Scout
Aug 26, 2007
Central NJ
www.sectionb10.org
Re: Skips Branch Fire, Section B1 06/29/08 @ 10:30 am

10 am 06/29/08- Springers Branch fire- Wharton State Forest, Hampton Rd
near Hampton Furnace. IC reporting 8.25 acres of mostly swamp, 75%
containment. Possible start was a lightning hit from the 06/27/08.

Section was changed to B1.
ICP is the Atsion ranger station on RT 206.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
This is one I often speak of that does more damage than the fire itself. Think a momemt. Its all green out there, the fire is probably burning relatively cool, and could be stopped at the next road its heading toward. Throwing power wagons and bulldozers in the swamp is efficient?

I don't know the first thing about firefighting, but my gut reaction is to agree with this. When I see the words "wide tracked dozers" my thought is "let it burn."

Nevertheless, thanks for the report, and good luck fighting it.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I have mixed feelings on the topic. I agree that the forest often recovers more quickly from the fire than from some of the efforts of fighting it. And few on this board need to be told of the natural role of fire in the pines. But hoping to stop it at the next road is a risky proposition. The worst fires we've had in recent history easily jumped several major roads, growing in size as they progressed and burning more than just forest in the process. And the best motives in the world mean little these days in the aftermath of anything catostrophic. Politicians (normally the ones running that year), the press, and the public all look for someone to blame and heads to roll. The responsibilities and considerations of those in charge of fighting these fires are immense. I'd never want to do it.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I think you nailed the problem, German. From the perspective of the forest the "right" response is one thing. But if I were the politician in charge of keeping people's property safe my instinct would be to slam resources on a fire until it was gone.

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
MarkBNJ.Let it burn???Bad word.Look what happened in Yellowstone.We have to manage and make our forests productive through controlled burning.Ask any forester.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
MarkBNJ.Let it burn???Bad word.Look what happened in Yellowstone.We have to manage and make our forests productive through controlled burning.Ask any forester.

"Managing and making our forests productive" does not conjure up an image of anything natural to me. Sounds more like a farm than a forest. Nature will figure out how to "manage" the forest all by herself. But of course we need to be practical where life and property are concerned.