Another plane crash site

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Since I've noticed quite a bit of interest in crash sites in various threads, I figured I mention another one I know of. Hopefully it isn't old news here. Cliff Oakley told me about it (if you are familair with Wells Mills, you know Cliff). He said it happened in the mid 40's, possibly during the war. He did not know what type of plane it was, other than is was a prop driven fighter. The plane had some type of mechanical trouble, and the pilot bailed out. He came down not far from the Homeplace, and Joe Albert saw the chute, and retrieved the pilot. The plane came down on the other side of Wells Mills Road, within what is now park limits.

I've been to the site a few times myself. It is very close to, and visible from one of the fire plow lines, not too far in from the road ( I forget which plow line. It's been a few years since I've been out there). You can clearly see the angled depression in the ground, indicating the angle of impact. Frost heaving brings picked up a few small pieces of wreckage now and then. I picked up a few and they are in a cardboard box somewhere in the bowels of the nature center if anyone is interested in seeing them.

If anyone's interested, I can get out there and give more specific directions when I get a chance. Sorry for no GPS coordinates. I'm still an old school, map & compass kinda guy. ;)

Reactions: WaretownMike

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I can't believe it took me this long to notice I spelled "crash" wrong in the thread title! Oh well.

Anyway, I've been too busy to get out in the field the last week. Once I double check which fire line the site is off of, and how far from the road it is, it should be easy enough for anyone to find. You need at least a bit of a challenge, don't you?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
GermanG said:
I can't believe it took me this long to notice I spelled "crash" wrong in the thread title! Oh well.

Anyway, I've been too busy to get out in the field the last week. Once I double check which fire line the site is off of, and how far from the road it is, it should be easy enough for anyone to find. You need at least a bit of a challange, don't you?

Thats right, we need a challange!

Guy