Another trip to Manumuskin River Preserve

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
The area is pretty good size you can walk along the river trail which seems to be at least 4-5 miles maybe more. Throughout the reserve there is a network of trails, which seem almost maze like. But there is def ample room to stretch the legs for a couple hours. On google earth if you go to these coordinates 39 20' 22.98" N 74 58' 00.56" W this is the middle of the river trail, it runs parrallel to the river you see here. In order to get back to the river trail you have to walk about 2 miles maybe less. The trail goes in between the two sandwash ponds you see on google earth.

Bill Lloyd

Jan 16, 2017
Sewell, NJ
I know this is an old thread but was hoping to get some info.

I have hiked the pines often along with river bluff and basically wherever i can hike in nj.

I am just starting to metal detect. Would love to try my luck in some of the old towns long forgotten. So with that being said, is it legal to metal detect in any of those “ghost towns”?

Just curious. Thanks for any help.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
State Forest no it isn't legal.Plainly posted only with permit in designated areas.Mainly on public beaches looking for coins and jewelry.No historically sensitive areas.
.There is no reg posted against it on the WMA signs but being it is state property your probably not allowed to take anything.The detector itself might not be illegal to use there but I think it is illegal to take anything from state property unless of course it's a hunters camera or deer stand.They don't care what you steal from someone else but God forbid don't take a rusty axe head or belt buckle you dig up.You have just destroyed it's context, that is the bed time story they seek to fit it into.As far as nature Conservancy goes I"ve never seen it prohibited but I"m sure the first time they catch someone doing it it will be.Basically if your not on private property thats you own or someone elses with permission don't even think about doing it.This is after all NJ.

Bill Lloyd

Jan 16, 2017
Sewell, NJ
Thanks you for your reply. I know not in State Forests but didn’t see anything about WMAs. However, it being a nature conservatory, I doubt they would appreciate me digging holes. Even though I always refill them. I totally understand.

Again, i have hiked/layaked most of south jersey and a good part of central. Last few years have been going farther north. Water gap, Mt Tammany, Point Mountain, Crater Lake. The pines are all starting to look the same, need some different scenery.

The detector was a gift and figured it would be adding to my enjoyment to maybe find an old relic or two while at these places. But it seems like more of a hassle, especially not truly understanding the hobby. I’ll do more research. Thanks again.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I know not in State Forests but didn’t see anything about WMAs.

It's not so hard to find the answer to this. Just go to the NJDEP website and click a few links to get here. See the fourth paragraph.

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/wmaregs.htm

"The following are prohibited: camping, swimming, picnicking, dumping, cutting or damaging vegetation, removing timber or firewood, alcoholic beverages, metal detecting, geocaching, paddleboards (except for fishing; no use allowed at Split Rock Reservoir) and fires."

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill Lloyd and John

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
It would be clear and more to the point to simple state in the rules and on signs, "This public property was purchased with your money for your enjoyment and recreation, NO NOTHING EVER." In "Pines speak" or for everyone else "NO ANYTHING EVER"

Last edited: