Any birders out there?

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I know i've asked this before, but is anyone here into birding? I have tuesday off, and while i know quite a few good birding places, i was wondering if anybody here had a good (and relatively less well-known) spot that i could hit in the barrens or on the coast.

places to rule out:
barnegat light
island beach
great bay boulevard
the great swamp (up north)
brigantine
lebanon
manasquan res
allaire state park
double trouble (which really isn't even that good)

thanks!

-Bob

Sadly there are not many good places in the Barrens for bird watching. One place close is the Manahawkin WMA. There I've seen Osprey, owls, GBH, egrets, ibis and more. The best area in SJ is Cape May and the Delaware Bay area. There you have Higbby's Beach (caution- there will be men there with an interest in a different bird),the Cape May Lighthouse. On the bay is Turkey Point, Heislerville and Reed's Beach. There are a ton of other places down there also. Check the N.J. Audubon Society web site.

Bear

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Bobbleton said:
I know i've asked this before, but is anyone here into birding? I have tuesday off, and while i know quite a few good birding places, i was wondering if anybody here had a good (and relatively less well-known) spot that i could hit in the barrens or on the coast.

If you are into raptors ( the only group of birds at which I consider myself reasonably proficient, having been a life-long falconer and rehabilitator of threatened / endangered raptors) I always thought it interesting that the casual birders I knew who used to go birding along the braes of Barnegat Bay would get into arguments about whether peregrine falcons or merlins (pigeon hawks) were more prevalent on a given day during migration. It boiled down as to whether they were out on the barrier beaches (where peregrines ruled the roost - so to speak - and merlins were rare to non-existant) or on the mainland side where the reverse obtained.

One late afternoon in November in the early 60's near Batsto I saw a mature golden eagle perched and scanning an open area - perhaps a recovering burn, and a few minutes later about 300 yards away, a first-year immature bald eagle on a snag overlooking the Mullica. It was a great opportunity to show my fiancee the differences between those two often-confused birds. That was the only definite sighting I've ever made of a golden in the PBs; I've thought that a few others might have been goldens, but the sighting conditions were less-than-optimal and I have to admit that they may have been immy balds. I've heard that it's not unusual for the more persistent birders at Cape May to see a few goldens en passant every fall.

Dave

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Bob, I have been going down to Manumuskin River Preserve and it seems like it has potential. I may have caught it on a good day but two weeks ago I saw a bald eagle. Also there are osprey nests on telephone poles there. I also saw tons of warblers, woodpeckers, chickadee's, ducks, vultures, hawks, turkey's, etc. down there in the past two weeks. And as in a previous post I saw a pine snake yearling down there two days ago. This place has tons of areas where snakes can be hibernating due to so old structures that surround the area. If you need more info drop me an email cjoneill12@comcast.net

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Try Cape May County State Park. I know that's a popular birding spot, last time i went there were birders everywhere, flooded the parking lot. idk why that day was so popular, but here is a link to some pics from that day. Besides from birding, i've also found a black rat snake, water snake, and gray treefrog there.

http://www.bcurtis.photosite.com/Capemay/

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Thanks guys . . . those're all excellent suggestions. Unfortunatly, my work schedule has turned me into a vampire and I slept until 4 on tuesday. With only an hour of sunlight left, I was forced into some lame local bird watching. I'm trying again thursday morning---depending on how early I wake up obviously.

-Bob

Rubibee

Scout
Dec 10, 2002
Moorestown, NJ
Bobbleton said:
Thanks guys . . . those're all excellent suggestions. Unfortunatly, my work schedule has turned me into a vampire and I slept until 4 on tuesday. With only an hour of sunlight left, I was forced into some lame local bird watching. I'm trying again thursday morning---depending on how early I wake up obviously.

-Bob

You probably know about Palmyra Cove then (?). They are open from dawn to dusk. Sorry but this isn't in the Pines.

quote from their site:

Palmyra Cove Nature Park (PCNP) is 350 acres of green in a highly developed area on the Delaware River just south of the Tacony Palmyra Bridge. With its woodlands, wetlands, tidal cove and wild river shore line, PCNP serves as an important feeding site for migratory birds.

end quote

This is a very unique and wonderful place. Over 250 species of birds have been sighted here.

--Bev