Any good hiking trails in the Pines aside from Batona?

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
too may ticks and chiggers this time of year even to walk down the once was roads in the pines, let alone the trails, it's kayak time then after :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
wow.....bugs,snakes,heat/cold,bears are all part of the hiking game my friend.....Anyone else with some trail advice?

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
I have done 2 separate hikes there this year.And I did'nt get chiggered...did get ticked..big deal.I hike all year round......Just looking for trails.Guess this isnt a good hiking source.........

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
NJHIKERADAM said:
I have done 2 separate hikes there this year.And I did'nt get chiggered...did get ticked..big deal.I hike all year round......Just looking for trails.Guess this isnt a good hiking source.........

go to lebanon ranger office off of rt 72, there are trails to mt misery and back about 12 miles or so round trip, you can even modify them with other trails with the maps to get there, sort of mix and match

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that it is the Yellow Trail that you can pick up behind the Atsion ranger station and goes down to Batsto area. That leg is 9 miles long.

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
I know from an old Lebanon State Park trail map that there is a Mt.Misery trail I believe starts at Pakim Pond.

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
fROM A MOUNTAIN BIKE TRAIL SITE.

Mount Misery Trail (aka White Trail): The trail links up with the Cranberry trail. There is some elevation gain (60 feet) to the south where there are opportunities for biking on higher, more compact soil. This trail has many branches which can cause some confusion.

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
Gerania said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that it is the Yellow Trail that you can pick up behind the Atsion ranger station and goes down to Batsto area. That leg is 9 miles long.

This is a great 'vacation' trail if you take the recommended two days by staying over at the Mullica River Wilderness campsite. It's my favorite hike and legal campsite in the pines. We've done it at least 2 or 3 times over the past few years.

Actually, just last weekend I did a round trip mountain bike ride from Atsion to Batsto, and back to Atsion. The first half from Atsion has some amazing singletrack and tight turns. Though, it starts to turn really sandy once you get to the entrance to the Mullica River Campsite and the majority of the 5 mile Batsto half is fairly sandy. But again, once you get closer to Batsto, it's nicer and more hardpacked with some really technical turns and some bridge riding!

If anyone wants to tackle this on mountain bikes in the near future, let me know. I'd love to do it again.

Justin

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
NewSchoolPiney said:
This is a great 'vacation' trail if you take the recommended two days by staying over at the Mullica River Wilderness campsite. It's my favorite hike and legal campsite in the pines. We've done it at least 2 or 3 times over the past few years.

Actually, just last weekend I did a round trip mountain bike ride from Atsion to Batsto, and back to Atsion. The first half from Atsion has some amazing singletrack and tight turns. Though, it starts to turn really sandy once you get to the entrance to the Mullica River Campsite and the majority of the 5 mile Batsto half is fairly sandy. But again, once you get closer to Batsto, it's nicer and more hardpacked with some really technical turns and some bridge riding!

If anyone wants to tackle this on mountain bikes in the near future, let me know. I'd love to do it again.

Justin

Will they let you leave a car at Batsto over night?

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Lots of choices off of the Batona. Penn State Forest offers Lake Oswego, eagles, open trails free of undrergrowth, cranberry/blueberry bogs, dwarf pines, and bear swamp hill. Out of Batsto you can take the Mullica River Trail up to a campsite on the river a little over 6 miles up.
Down in the Southern end you have the East Creek trail in Belleplaine. 7 plus miles through some excellent open swamps, although the trail was flooded in spring.
There's also The Unexpected Wilderness Sanctuary in Buena with 10 miles and heavy beaver activity.
I have been on about 10 trips this season with twice that many bag nights, and I'll still say the Pines are as tick infested as they come. It may not have the danger in PA rocks or climbs, but that sand and little bugger tick can be more than enough trouble. Don't worry about other critters big and small, but do constant checks for ticks. Humidity should be kickin' high, stay hydrated and wear some gaiters. Have a good time.

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
After my past couple Pines hikes. I will be wearing a nice coat of 100% deet and hiking with tweezers in hand. I am opting out of carrying a purifier and instead will refill at Batso, Batona Campsite Area and at Pakim Pond..I carry a 3 liter reservoir and may add 2 nalgene bottles to the mix. On 20 mile plus days I typically drink a gallon of water....I may just hike in my zipoffs as I usually were shorts .....To help counter act tick exposure....