Any good hiking trails in the Pines aside from Batona?

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
ecampbell said:
Will they let you leave a car at Batsto over night?

Anytime you want to overnight just let the ranger station know of your plans and they'll give you a pass to display in your car window. This is especially important because you need a permit to use Lower Forge or the Mullica River Wilderness Campsite.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
NJHIKERADAM said:
After my past couple Pines hikes. I will be wearing a nice coat of 100% deet and hiking with tweezers in hand. I am opting out of carrying a purifier and instead will refill at Batso, Batona Campsite Area and at Pakim Pond..I carry a 3 liter reservoir and may add 2 nalgene bottles to the mix. On 20 mile plus days I typically drink a gallon of water....I may just hike in my zipoffs as I usually were shorts .....To help counter act tick exposure....

I usually leave the purifier at home on Pines trips to, I dont mind packing in what I'm gonna use. Convertibles are a good idea, thats what I do most of the time, they come off at breaks, camp, and water plunges.

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
Funny because I have been using Ultrathon the past couple years when I feel it is needed and I have been tickless and LYME free. also I am tested once a year. And that product only uses 34% deet.........

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Boyd said:
That's a different brand from the stuff I got, but it's the same ingredient.

Good stuff, but the trick is you can't use it on treated clothing. Wicking or other similar "sport" clothing lose their nature when sprayed with strong compounds. During tick season I use long pants with gaiters and short sleeves with deet on my arms. Big ol' hat is a must to, but I wear hats whenever hiking.

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
On of my buddies did a hike at Lebanon Saturday..No bug spraqy at all and not one tick or chigger.....You guys are pulling my leg...........

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
NJHIKERADAM said:
On of my buddies did a hike at Lebanon Saturday..No bug spraqy at all and not one tick or chigger.....You guys are pulling my leg...........

I don't think so! Jes and I walked a road to a sawmill on Saturday and we had ticks all over our shoes and legs along with a few chiggers.

Guy

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
No really........He hiked at Lebanon Saturday..........No spray......No ticks...No chiggers.........

I was up at the Stonetown Circular near Wanaque and no ticks.....but after went over to the Torne and had a couple ticks on me there....

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
I am gonna be down in the Pines this weekend to survey the bug situation..But I did take your guys advice and got some spray for the clothes

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
Quote:As they say, "your mileage may vary." But I'd be careful this time of year if I were you...

What exactly are you referring to?

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
Oh.. I got spray for clothing........And 100% Deet for any exposed skin......Any which way only a couple weeks left till my hike and I am amped.The Pine Barrens is a place like no other.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
NJHIKERADAM said:
I am gonna be down in the Pines this weekend to survey the bug situation..But I did take your guys advice and got some spray for the clothes

Adam, it depends on a lot of variables in the Pines. On sunny dry days, I usually don't have a problem with pine flies. But humid sultry days are a killer. Mosquitoes are not bad in the uplands, but in lowland pine forests or damp swamps they can be real bad. I too have walked in areas with no ticks only to be covered in the next mile. Chiggers are hit or miss too.

But come on down and survey anyway. I cannot count how many times I made an excuse to myself to go out in the pines. Everything from being tired of people to wanting to see a plant I passed on the road days ago.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
TeeGate said:
You going biking Ed???

Guy
No, I have one, a hybrid, but it is uncomfortable for me to ride. My body dosen't like being leaned forward and even with a gel seat, putting your weight on you prostate just dosen't feel good. I'll sitck to horses.

deesweet

Apr 5, 2006
Bellmawr, NJ
go to lebanon ranger office off of rt 72,

just so that you know the sigsn for Lebanon know say Bryne (they renamed the forest). I was there a few days ago and the bugs weren't that bad/didn't bother me.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Welcome to the forum Deesweet. Guy (Teegate) is right. Old habits die hard, Lebanon still seems to be the name to go with. I live in Lebanon SF and always refer to it that way despite the name change. Nothing against Brendan Bryne though, the man that is.

So Deesweet, what got you into the pines?

Jeff