Any ideas?

cooldude

Mar 23, 2009
Hey guys, I'm new here.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any ideas on where I can go with my friends to different places where abandoned buildings are and/or cool trails in the Atco, Atsion, Hammonton, Batsto, ect. area.

That'd be awesome! Thanks!!

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
ghost towns

Cooldude, what are you and your friends expectations on finding these buildings? Are you looking for artifacts or doing research. We respect these old sites and we try to keep them intact. Think about your goals, once these places are gone they are gone forever.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Cooldude, what are you and your friends expectations on finding these buildings? Are you looking for artifacts or doing research. We respect these old sites and we try to keep them intact. Think about your goals, once these places are gone they are gone forever.

I could not have said it better. The buildings that were abandoned and interesting had to be torn down because of the vandalism. If everyone would go and leave them alone we would have many to choose from. Sadly, there are very few if any on public land, and the private is not much better.

Guy

cooldude

Mar 23, 2009
oh no, absolutely not.

We are going to school for wildlife and archeology research.

(We also enjoy learning about the legends that follow in the Pine Barrens. haha.)

That's why we enjoy going into the Pine Barrens.

We start our college semester in September, and were looking for cool abandoned places to explore, research, and capture good photos. I just hope it's not illegal to go to these places. So if anyone could give me any directions to some good ones, that'd be great.

Thanks guys!

PS: I'm glad I found this forum, it's so cool.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Most of the places with abandoned buildings have been preserved. (Batsto, Howell Works, etc.)

Atsion is in rougher shape. There are a number of "abandoned" buildings, or more succinctly buildings that the state has allowed to rot. It's also spread out across a fairly large area. There's lots of interesting things to see at Atsion.

Beyond Atsion, there's a large cellar hole at Mount, the site of a former tavern/inn. There's the walls of a Joseph Wharton barn at Washington, just north of Batsto.

Back out by Atsion there's the ruins of Parkdale, but really that's just cellar holes and concrete.

As was mentioned before, a lot of ruins have fallen victim to vandalism and so there's not much to see thesedays. The patient explorer will find cellar holes and a few bricks to mark places where, even thirty years ago, a building may have stood.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just remember that there are pockets of private property in Atsion, so if you start roaming around you must be very careful where you go.

Guy